Chapter 13: Only One Outcome

Mulai dari awal

"Scheiße! I forgot to do my makeup!"

However, her stomach protested by sending pain signals. Inwardly deciding that she would skip it for today, she then proceeded to put on her comfy sandals before exiting her bunk.

Mess hall of the destroyer Wotan, Z.

Finding a place to sit isolated from the rest of the crew that were also eating their most important meal of the day, Cielia gently placed her tray down on the table as she took a seat. She then took a sip from her brewed coffee, savoring its bitter taste, before listening in on a conversation from Navy personnel sitting at the next table.

"Aw, man. Frau Oudwin looks sexy, even without makeup!"

"But she looked better yesterday when she had makeup! Seriously, your taste!"

"Heh, that's to be expected, ja? He has better senses when it comes to men!"

Blushing from the gay remark, Cielia closed her eyes as her cheeks turned red while continuing to sip from her brewed coffee. While used to the remarks from men around her, she inwardly noted that they could have at least put an effort into not letting her overhear their conversation, unless that was part of their objectives. The coffee she drank finally reached the bowels of her stomach, giving her the final pang of hunger that drove her to eat her breakfast: eggs, toast, and beans. Using her utensils to take a part of each of the three, she dug in. Although the food was relatively tasteless compared to the food back home, the intake of nutrients still did their trick and satisfied her stomach's cries for attention. Promptly finishing her meal and wiping excess residue from her mouth with some napkins, she was then approached by one of the Navy personnel that had just entered the mess hall.

"Excuse me. Frau Oudwin, there is a call for you."

Replying "of course" to the kind gentleman, she got up from her table before following the man out of the mess hall.

Cielia was directed to the telephone in the communications room, which was placed somewhere away from the receiver. Picking it up, Cielia answered.

"Yes?"

"Guten morgen, Frau Oudwin."

Greeting her at the other end of the line was a voice she inherently despised but was relieved to hear from. It was her superior, Gesta.

"Guten morgen. I assume that this is related to the current situation?"

"I hate that part of you. You always lead me when it comes to working but elsewhere? Oh, liebling, you're so cold..."

Cielia sighed. She made sure her sigh was loud enough that it could be heard by her boss trying to pick her up in a bad situation.

"With all respect, Herr Gesta, there is only less than an hour left till the Pagandans' deadline expires, and I have been waiting for further notice, as you have told me to yesterday."

"Ah, yes. Of course. Regarding that... the ten diplomats taken hostage by the Pagandans have all been recovered. We haven't been given any details, only that the Pagandans are aware that they are gone."

Mixed feelings simultaneously erupted inside Cielia's heart. First, she was relieved that her colleagues and subordinates were now safe. Following that, she then wondered how they managed to recover them. While she was curious about the details, what matters the most is that the Pagandans are aware that the ten diplomats are gone. Even if the fact alone doesn't necessarily implicate them, it won't take much of a leap to conclude that it was them that took (likely by force) the hostages from the Pagandans. Since the Pagandans were so quick to jump to conclusions, it won't be long before they entirely blame the empire for it. At this rate, there was only one outcome from this. While she inwardly lamented that it had come to this point, she knew that the disposition of the two nations regarding this crisis couldn't afford a gentler solution. Cielia sighed even deeper.