Vol. Two Ch. Ten: Holed Up

Start from the beginning

It wasn't too long when we found more brass casings in a small little cluster on the ground. Not too far away from those casings were small piles of ashes and it was recent enough to the point that a Grimm Mask was still visible in one of the piles. All this seemed to add up with the earlier volley of bullets we heard while still at camp. Yet, there was something odd about these casings since Port would pick up one of them and hold it out to me. And I definitely could see why since this casing had a small bit of ice shards along the rim of the projectile pit.

"Ice Dust...on a brass casing?"

"Professor Peach taught us that, in most cases, brass casings and dust cause an implosion before ejection. Which is why they had to use steel casings. This isn't brass..."

"An alloy. But the only ones with that sort of technology is Atlas..."

Wrong...There is one group here that specializes in that kind of stuff. However, we were cut off when those yells actually became audible and the gunfire was a bit more closer. Orders of "fall back" and "which way is it!?" Port and I just shared a singular glance before dashing forward to meet those soldiers who were in a current retreat from whatever attacking them. Coming across an opening, Port and I stood on a small cliff looking over said opening that was lined with tall grass. That gunfire we heard was now something we could see as light tracers left the left hand side of the grass as I could see about five figures below. Meanwhile, the grass on the right seemed to become flattened as I could see a couple of large Grimm dashing through the grass. Beringels. A Grimm I knew of yet, never really seen.

"A...Beringel? Those are only native to Northern Sanus and upward!"

"Well, either this is a case of mistaken identity or we have a case of Bigfootism."

Without another word, Port would laugh softly as he twirled Blowhard in his hand before aiming the barrel behind him as he then mounted the weapon. Placing his feet parallel along the length before pulling the trigger. Shooting upwards into the sky, he would give a light twirl as he simultaneously reloaded the weapon by shoving a wad down the barrel. Firing again, this time he made sure to be pointed downwards as he tackled Beringel in the back. The first was confused to what it just witnessed so, I took the opportunity.

Firing my grappling hook downwards, I hooked right into its chest as it let out a loud roar of pain and rage. Letting the line snag me, I hopped down from the cliff as I used a boost from my jump-kit. Letting me whip around the Beringel as the steel cable of the grappling hook cut the grass down enough where the Beringel was visible and visibly pissed too since it soon grabbed the cord. With a harsh yank forward and an equally harsh roar, the Beringel made sure to close the gap as I instantly fixed my position mid-flight before activating the Phase Module. Slipping into the void and the low ringing in my ears, I made sure to slip around behind the Beringel before returning back from monochrome reality. I couldn't help but whistle when I saw its back and how truly big it was compared to me so, naturally I was a bit frozen to see it was twice my height as it turned around.

"That's a huge bi-"

It soon roared out in my face and by god did I wish I had my helmet on as its breath was deadlier than a Northstar's cluster rocket. Hopping out the way in time just as it brought its fists down where I was, I immediately awoke from my dazed state as I put my helmet on. Leaping into the air with my Mastiff, I stuffed the barrel right near its head and pulled the trigger yet, color my surprised when the fucker stumbled back with a heavy shake and roared out. Even head-butting my chest, I flew backwards with a grunt and several thuds before landing upright on one hand and my feet placed firmly as I looked ip to see it charging at me.

Leaping high up into the air above its dumb thick-skulled head, I would land with a small roll behind it before pointing my Mastiff backwards without actually turning my body. Pulling the trigger, I could hear it roar out as I then grabbed a Firestar from my belt and hopped into the air yet again. And the dumb thing actually grabbed my leg which, is something I betted on since I then whipped my body around. Only thing was, I didn't expect it to grab me by my waist and immediately begin to press my ribs in. Gritting my teeth with a small yell, I growled out as I slammed the Firestar into the prick's face as it burst into a nice puddle of flames.