He was an abomination. Never meant to happen.

"Kill me," he whispered to the only person left in the room. To someone he never had the choice to meet. They were alone now. The guards had left. The vault door was still wide open, beckoning Rannia to flee. But she stayed.

She stayed because he was there.

With a tired sigh, Rannia dropped the gun to the ground. It clattered noisily against the cement flooring. In retrospect, it was a very bad idea, dropping it like that. It could fire randomly if the trigger was pressed and shoot her own foot.

But being there, alone with him, with secrets out, was enough proof that she wasn't thinking. Not at all.

Or maybe too much.

They remained in silence for passing minutes, thinking over everything that had just happened. Mykel's dead half-siblings by his sides. Carter racing off with his injured mother, probably near the hospital by now. Her life was in his hands, now.

Then to Rannia's unconscious father, still by her feet.

She chose to ignore that particular reality.

She hadn't betrayed them. She hadn't betrayed her family She hadn't betrayed her dad.

"Why won't you kill me?"

He was the first to speak through the silence. Rannia looked up at the man she expected to rage and snap her neck the moment they were alone; alas, he did not. He stood there, looking at her with a look she could not decipher nor describe.

"Why? Because I am weak, Mykel," she replied. Tears were still wet on her cheeks. "I am weak because I watched myself fall in love with you when all I ever wanted was to kill you."

"Falling in love with someone is not weakness."

Rannia scoffed. "The situation I find myself in proves anything but."

"I had to learn to love you," he admitted. His words hit heavy, stringing along Rannia's peeling heartstrings, playing with them like the cruel marionette master Love had proven to be. "And it was hard. There is something wrong in my blood, Rannia. My father..." He trailed off. "This makes it harder for me to love. But somehow, in the twisted way the world spins, some strings got tangled and I loved you." He let out a dry laugh. "Funny, how now we speak, without barrier, unlike how we've ever spoken before. It is now that we are honest, and yet somehow I feel farther from you than I've ever felt before."

Tears sprung into Rannia's eyes, more weak, pitiful tears. Ones she failed to blink away as little salty water buds rolled down her cheeks.

"You should want to kill me, after what I've done," Rannia muttered.

"And I? I want to die." Mykel cast a glance down to his chest, where he hoped a bullet wound might lie. But the white remained white, and no red joined the scene. None of his own, at least.

"I should leave now, shouldn't I?" Rannia asked. She looked to the side where her father's collapsed body lay. She did not know if he'd wake up. Her entire world was gone. She felt like a blade had sliced across the Earth and rid of all life, terrain, and movement, leaving it a flat, unnoticeable planet. 

Where none but she remained.

And she was so, so alone.

"And go where?"

Maybe she was not alone. After all, he was there. If he wanted to be.

Rannia looked over at him, though her heart wailed to do so. It was thrashing on its broken cage that it knew it could escape, but simply did not want to; she was a dragonfly, with full and strong wings, but she'd bathed in the water basin knowing full well she would not be able to fly again.