chapter three

"That's how kids are, love."

(Y/N) shifted in the passenger seat to face him, gently holding onto the seat belt, raising a brow. He had broken the silence, yes, but with what? She had hardly heard.

"Sorry?"

Side-glancing at her, William clicked his tongue, gluing his gaze to the road. Tightening his grip on the steering wheel, he squinted, licking his lips. Was he avoiding the need to repeat himself? Kind of melodramatic, if you asked (Y/N). He was driving them to the diner, and the entire car ride had been pin drop silent up until now. She had to admit, it was definitely an appreciated scene to see his bulging biceps fuss against the close-fitting blouse.

"My kids," He started, chewing on his inner cheeks, "they're... what they are?– a handful, and—"

"OH–" (Y/N) cut him off, hiding a sheepish grin at his aggravated sigh and eyeroll, continuing nonetheless, "It's okay, really! I love 'em... they're really sweet and, er, and yeah! Can't be too much for the great and mighty me to handle, that's–that's for sure."

It was true. It'd only been an hour and she already found herself alone without their presence. Yeah, their father was right here with her, but that didn't match the energy those kiddos had. Although, she still did value him in a more... head over heels sort of way.

"Mm, I see." William seemed... pleased, from what she could tell. He wasn't speaking in an almost hesitant tone anymore, and sounded rather happy, if anything. Of course, that wasn't displayed on his facial features, that remained stoic. A muscle in his jaw twitched, and the ghost of a smile emerged, only to be suppressed a split-second later. The woman was convinced her dazed mind had fabricated it.

Coming to a halt, (Y/N) glanced up at the familiar FREDBEAR FAMILY DINER. Hopping out of the car, the taller man didn't give her a chance, taking long strides to the entrance whilst she struggled to keep up with him unless she jogged. Having sensed he'd done her wrong, William held the polished glass door open, gesturing for her to enter first.

"Why thank you, kind sir."

"It's the 80s, try acting like it, dear."

"Oh come on," (Y/N) whined, throwing her hands in the air, "it's a joke, you know it!"

"Poor joke."

"I'll show you what's poor—"

"(Y/N)! (Y/N)!" Huffed a red-faced Henry, hurrying to the said one's side, unintentionally shouldering William. Profusely muttering apologies and massaging his friend's shoulders for a few seconds, he returned his attention to she who he had been heaving for. Latching onto her forearm, he pat his warm hands on her head, either cheeks, and checked her temperature by pressing his palm to her neck. "Your tongue, sh–show me it!"

"Henry I'm okay—"

"Alright, alright." He nodded, smiling nervously and releasing her. Only for a split second though, because he gripped her by both forearms this time, staring into her (E/C) eyes with worrisome, hazel ones. "Are–Are you alright? Okay? How was William's? Was it o–okay? Do you, um, do you need anything? I can provide, I just–just forgot to remind him yesterday. I–I, err, hope you don't mind. Did he give you ex–extra blankets? Have you had breakfast? We have a employees-only breakfast here–here at the diner! He drove cautiously right? No nausea or motion–motion sickness on the way? Hurricane's been a lot, uhh, a lot more polluted since your family yknow... do–do we need to book a breathing test? Do you smoke–"

"Emily? What's gotten into you, dear friend. Is there something I should know? What worries you so?" William eyed suspiciously, folding his arms.

"No, nothing! It's just (Y/N)..." Henry answered in a panic. He glued his gaze to the ground, a shaky hand ruffling his neatly combed hair. Unbeknownst to him, the (H/C)-ette nodded her head vigorously at Afton, earning a raised eyebrow from him.