Chapter Forty-Eight: In Grave Danger

Liam

"Oh my god." That's the first thing I say when the two of us are sitting on the porch outside in the back of my house.

"Yeah." He says, touching his hand to the back of his head. He winces. The wound was deep, but Claire, being a nurse, was able to bandage Thomas's injury, using a first aid kit she always keeps at home. His wife and daughters are asleep in the guest room.

"I shouldn't be surprised." I say, leaning back in my chair. "Dr. Owe- I mean Dr. Stone seems like a total psycho."

"Well you should've told me before I went there." He teases. "You could've saved me from a near death experience."

"I already saved you from a near death experience." I say, folding my hand behind my head. "Remember? I saved you from drowning."

"I almost forgot about that." He says, laughing.

"Well in that case, Imma make sure you never forget. Now you also owe me a rescue from a near death experience." Both of us start laughing. When we realize what happened a few hours ago, though, the laughter dies down and the mood is solemn once again.

"We should've remembered. There were a lot more of those things when we burned down the asylum." I say, talking about the Keeper.

Well... the Keepers.

"Yeah." He answers. "Two are dead, but there could be more."

"It makes sense." I say. "Dr. Stone must've repeated his 'failed experiment.' If the Keepers are so loyal to him, why not have more?" Thomas nods in agreement.

"He didn't tell me about any duplications." He says. "But your theory seems accurate."

"What about seeing your younger self?" I ask, changing the subject.

"I don't know how I saw him." Thomas answers. "He was standing outside of my house and I had this feeling like I had to follow him."

"Do you think it's those people messing with your mind again?" I ask.

"No, I don't think so." Thomas answers. "They probably wouldn't tell me how to kill those things."

"Then what is a possible explanation?"

"My mother." He answers.

"Your mother?"

"Yeah."

"How?" I ask.

"Back when I was 18, those ghosts I used to see in my house were my mother. Jane's consciousness was controlling her body so the only way she could communicate was by taking the form of ghosts from her imagination, but it was very limiting. The ghosts couldn't talk to me." He explains.

"Was she trying to warn you about everything?" I ask and he nods.

"What if she was the one who helped me?" He asks.

"Then why would she take the form of your younger self to tell you something instead of a ghost you've already seen?" I ask. "You would've listened to her either way."

"Then maybe it really was me." He says, almost as if he's telling himself this rather than me. "Maybe I somehow knew that they are attracted to water which could drown them and my mind was tryna tell myself."

"Maybe." I say. "Anything's possible I guess."

"Yeah." He says, looking up at the stars. "Anything's possible."

*******

"I'm worried about Thomas." Sienna tells me. "I don't know what to do."

It was early evening, the golden rays of the sinking sun shining brightly into the house. Thomas was still at work, and Claire had gone to the hospital, starting her night shift. January and Savannah were playing quietly with the few toys my wife and I had stashed in a closet, which we always saved for Claire's niece and nephew. I had just finished cooking dinner, when Sienna came out of the guest room, awaiting Thomas' arrival. When she saw he was still at work, she took a seat at the dining table, where I joined her in conversation.

"I take it he told you what I found at the psychologist's office?" I ask. She nods. "I don't really know what to tell you." I say, honestly.

"How much danger is he in?" Sienna asks. I hesitate before saying,

"A lot, I'm afraid. We know that Dr. Stone will stop at nothing to kill Thomas, now that he knows everything. We need to be careful."

"But Thomas is stubborn." She says. "He thinks he has to save everyone. He would even give up his own life just to protect others. I don't want him to get hurt."
"Neither do I." I say. I hug her. "We'll look out for him. I promise." In my mind I say,

Please don't do something reckless, Thomas. Your wife needs you. Your daughters need you. Please, please, please please, please. Stay alive.

At least for your family.