Chapter Eighteen: The Spark of Confrontation that Lit the Fire of Guilt

Liam

"I'm sorry!" I had yelled after him, but he didn't seem to be listening. Once he was gone, I got into my car and punched the steering wheel over and over again.

10 years.

We met in third grade. Thomas wasn't alone since he had Ava, but I had no one. I just moved to Ohio from New York and I didn't really know anybody. It seemed that by third grade, everyone had already found their crew and it was very hard for the other children to accept me into their group, making me feel like an outcast.

But not Thomas.

He came up to me and introduced himself. He wasn't one of those kids who the teacher told them to be nice and play with me. He actually wanted to be my friend. He invited me to play with him and his sister and our friendship was sealed.

As I'm recalling this memory, I drove out of the parking lot, to nowhere in particular. It was only when I zoned back into reality, that I realized that I was driving straight to the cabin. I stopped by the gas station which was on the way and grabbed a large can of gasoline and a lighter. I drove 10 over the speed limit to the forest. I got out of the car and walked to the log house, the sound of leaves and sticks crunching under my boots.

When I walked into the wooden house, I placed the can near the door and pushed the filing cabinets and the wooden chair and table down, wincing at the loud sound it made against the wood floors. I opened the can and threw the clear liquid on top of the stuff. I lit my lighter and took a deep breath.

I was done.

Enough.

I threw the lighter, the stuff catching on fire quickly. I walked calmly out of the cabin and closed the door. When I was at least a couple hundred feet away I heard a loud explosion behind me. A small smile appeared on my lips but I kept walking, not stopping for a moment. Not even to look behind me.

10 years.

10 years of friendship.

Gone just like that.

Like the burning of wood.

And the scattering of ashes.