Chapter Twenty-Four: A Promise That's Been Broken

Thomas

In a matter of a few minutes, Ava and I were finally on the front steps of the house. I was shivering, even though I was wearing a dry jacket, and the only thing I wanted to do was to sleep.

"Ava we have to do something." I whispered to her when we're inside the house. She shook her head. "We're living with a murderer."

"Yeah, who would probably kill us if she knew that we know the truth." She said.

"We can't tell anyone else." I said. "The police won't believe us if we tell them, you know that. We have to confront her."

"No, not yet." She said, "Please. We need to think this through." The two of us walked to our bedrooms and quietly closed the door. I changed into dry clothes and immediately fell asleep as soon as I hit the bed. Thankfully tonight there were no more nightmares and for the first time since I've moved into this house, I slept peacefully.

The next day at school was horrible. I was dead tired the entire day, and didn't listen to a word any of the teachers said. Thankfully Ava was paying attention and she told me everything that I had to do. Liam and I didn't talk the entire day at school, nor did we sit next to each during Psychology. Hailey and I exchanged a few words here and there but I mostly kept to myself. At last the day ended and Ava and I drove back home from school.

When we got in the door, we saw Jane sitting on the sofa downstairs, reading. She got up once she saw us.

"Hey." She greeted us. "How was school?" I already didn't have any strength to deal with school, and I certainly didn't have any strength or patience to deal with her sick game. Ava gave her a brief summary of the day, while I just went upstairs to my room, working on homework.

"Thomas?" I resisted the urge to roll my eyes as I looked back at Jane. "Is everything okay?" I chuckled.
"You know there's a lot of things that aren't okay. Starting with the fact that-"

"We have a lot of homework!" Ava yelled, cutting me off. She ignored the glare that I shot her. "We have a ton of homework that we have to do." She walked up the stairs, tugging on my arm. Jane and I exchanged glances, more like a glare, with each other as she disappeared from my view.

"What is wrong with you?!" Ava whispered- shouted in my room.

"What is wrong with me? What is wrong with you? I almost had her!" I defended myself.

"I told you why we couldn't confront her." She said.

"You don't have to do anything." I said. "I can talk to her on my own."

"I'm not worried about myself." She said, "I'm worried about you." I looked away from her, out the window. "We don't know what she's capable of. We need to think this thoroughly." I sighed. She was right.

"Okay, fine." I said.

"Thank you." She said relieved, hugging me. "Promise me you won't talk to her." Ah, an Ava classic. I chuckled.

"I promise."

"We need to talk." My heart pounded as I heard those words. I turned to see Jane. I downed my glass of water, and put the glass near the sink.

"Okay?" I said slowly. "Whatever about?"

"Not here. In the basement."

"The basement? Mom, is everything okay?" Calling her Mom made me feel sick to my stomach but I still had to pretend like I didn't know who she really was.

"Yes. Just come." She opened the door to the basement and went down the stairs. Gulping, I followed her down there, closing the door. I slowly walked down the stairs to the terrifying truth, my doom and the towards the woman in the red heels.