43| Acknowledgments and Childhood memories.

~~~

Despite sharing the earth, the people who live on it are divided into classes; there are rich, middle-class, poor, ignored, junkies, and perpetrators.

As I entered Henderson's house, more like a mansion, the thought raced through my mind like a car at breakneck speed. And it hit me like a ton of bricks.

People are suffering more than we are, but we believe we are the only ones.

"Woah, baby," Mave whistled slowly beside me.

"Ells, marry any of the Henderson men. I swear to God, if my heart hadn't been taken, I would have."Jen muttered from the other side, making me roll my eyes.

"You anyways have two of them wrapped around your fingers,"
She just had to add that.

I rolled my eyes again, ignoring her.

"One of them is a Greyson," Mave noted.

Seriously?

"Guys, can we not?" I clenched my teeth.

"Sure," Jen said, laughing.

Returning my focus to the house, I took in its windows, which were as shy as eyes, large enough to welcome any ray of sunlight. The rock walls seemed to belong exactly where they were, as if they had sprouted from that sacred ground. It was as if it had been summoned to protect those who came to live within, to keep the elements at bay and allow heat to build from hearths into the inhaled woodland air.

The interior was enchanting and welcoming, with white and gold accents. The house was a hotbed of gold.

We were greeted by a large living room with expensive white sofas surrounding it and a large chandelier on top as soon as we stepped inside. At the far straight end, there is a large staircase.

I was amazed.

"If they had given a quarter of the money they had invested in this mansion to the poor, world hunger would have been cut in half," Mave grumbled beside me.

Which I wholeheartedly agreed with. But it wasn't our place to make a remark.

"OK, let's not go there," I muttered.

Grizelle Henderson, aka Sr. Mrs. Henderson, had already graced us with her presence before any of them could speak.

"Isn't it a lovely evening?" She smiled at herself. She was dressed elegantly in a white full-sleeved silk gown.

I was adorned in a bottle green silk top with blue flared jeans while Jen was dressed in a red crop top and skinny jeans.

There were only a few times when I felt self-conscious about how I dressed, but right now, I'm feeling quite self-conscious about my appearance.

"I'm so glad you guys were able to make it," Grizelle smiled and added, "Ah, you've bought another friend," as she looked at Maver.

I became crimson.

"I'm-"

"Which I don't mind at all." She smiled as she looked at Mave.

Her lips seemed to be permanently set in a smile.

"Who would you be?" She asked about Mave.

Always stealing the spotlight, Mave.

I internally rolled my eyes.

"Maver Galvary"

"Why does that name sound familiar?" Grizelle prodded.

"My father owns the Galvary Wines," Mave explained, casually.