Epilogue

The squeal of brakes and the shuffling of feet greeted her three hours later. Peering out of the window she watched as passengers descended the stairs and made their way down the busy platform. They slipped into the small cafe that was inside, or simply followed the signs towards their next destination, her foggy brain imagined where they could be going.

A few new people climbed aboard, tickets in hand, their eyes searching for an empty row to spread out, or empty chairs to sit next to friends. When everyone was settled and their metal worm was on the move again, she leaned forward to see Finn's face. He had shifted slightly when she moved, but his eyes were still thankfully closed. He had put on a calm and brave face for her but she could tell that he was exhausted, the past two days not at all what he had expected. Stars, that morning would have been the day he was supposed to leave Bell st and set sail for another fishing season, not help a girl flee the county and wait for her surrogate father to get out of jail. Still though, she didn't mind how his arm had curled around her shoulders protectively while they had slept, nor did she move it now that she was awake.

Things certainly hadn't gone the way she had envisioned either. In another life she would be completing the ceremony of sun in two months, vowing a permanent life of devotion to a deity that didn't exist. Leaving the community walls had been a transformative moment; she'd gone from wandering the woods in awe of birdsong, to running from Royal Guards, and crossing part of the country by train. What she wouldn't give to share everything she'd seen and learn with the other sisters. The younger girls would have loved Christmas, the colorful wrapping paper, the fun songs, and gifts. The very idea of their little faces staring at gifts meant for them made her eyes burn.

Then there was Sister Viola and Zinnia. She'd thought of Sister Zinnia often, because Davina knew how proud and happy she'd be at her growth. She had made a friend, found her family, and she was happy, everything the sister wanted. Viola on the other hand, was harder to think about. Davina had left her behind and gotten to live a life that was stolen from her. Viola would never get to sing Christmas carols, or hum in the kitchen while cooking dinner with her family again.

Maybe it was her imagination, or the fact that she had just resolved to go back for the other sisters, but she could have swore she saw the outline of a familiar building. One that sat at the edge of a cliff, overlooking cold grey water.