~36~ A Muddled Family Secret

Start from the beginning

The courtyard was silent except for the gonging of the bells atop the Senate building, the crows cackling as they launched from the puddle they drank at. Sophie was at the head of her brother and aunt, nervously fiddling with her amulet beneath her battle attire.
Soon, a soldier with Esposita colored armor stepped forward, "All your weapons, please unload them here."
Sophie glanced at Alexios and Maria, all of them slowly unequipping themselves and tossing their weapons into the basket he held.

"The gauntlets as well, Madam." Sophie and Alexios glanced behind them as Maria glared at the soldier, hesitating to remove the sacred Cyevan weapon. Sophie silently took Maria's hands in hers, turning it over to help undo the straps around the gauntlet.

Dropping Maria's single gauntlet into the basket, the guard nodded and took them inside the building. They continued down the cobbled path with simple steps, the rain from the night before leaving darkened footsteps behind them. The courtyard has clearly not been taken care of in many years. Dry and mangled branches of long-forgotten trees reach down from above them. The stems of blooming flowers were black and brown,their color dropping with the petals crunching beneath them. Just outside the high stone walls, you could hear the clopping of horses on the cobbles, the last of the drinkers and partiers returning to their homes.
Vincenzo was waiting at the end of the courtyard, sitting on the edge of a broken fountain overgrown with moss and vines. Guards were waiting along the sides of the courtyard walls, which touched the clouds.

"We are here alone and unarmed. Now you can try to convince us not to kill you for stealing our men." Alexios spat.

Vincenzo's head lifted, sipping from a teacup in his lap as he examined each of them. The newest generation of the Morrettis with snarls on each of their faces.

He noted, "The little one isn't here."

"No, why would she?"

"I said anyone who bears the Morretti last name."

"We're not bringing a child. You have five damn seconds before I slit your throat." Maria snapped.

Vincenzo did falter after Maria spoke, remembering when she beat the crap out of him in the square.

"Where are our men, Vincenzo?" Maria gritted through her teeth.

Vincenzo sighed, striding his tea with a crystal spoon, knocking it on the side of the porcelain to get off any extra liquid before taking another sip.

"I will tell you when it suits me best." Vincenzo stood, his shoulders relaxed and his face blank, "So. Your little Prince told you of our meeting."

"What the hell do you want, Vincenzo?" Sophie spat.

"Many things, my dear. Mostly your great aunt and a few secrets of your father's."

"My great aunt? You killed every one of my family besides those who stand before you. There is no great aunt to give you."

"No, no, I was unable to reach one final ancestor of yours on my missions to exterminate you Morrettis from the world. I wanted to kill all of you so we could claim the right, but apparently he wants to do that instead. Not for the right, but for his personal reasons. I didn't want to get in his way. He's been waiting for longer than I have."

Great aunt? He? Claim the right?

"What are you trying to say?"

"You best check in on that queen of yours, Miss Amalia."

The Queen? No... "How do you know about Kassandra?" Sophie insisted.

"How is it that everyone knows more about your own family then you do?"