Chapter 10- Rayne

"Get a look at you, geek boy. You've gone from Steve Urkle to Stephan." Candis walks around the new and approved Eli, nodding her head in approval.

I remain silent, stunned by the sight before me.

Gone are his geeky glasses and khakis. In its place are a pair of black jeans, a buffalo plaid shirt over a black tee and wool pea coat. His chestnut hair is slicked back and when I inhale I catch a whiff of woodsy cologne.

"Thanks." He says with a shy smile.

I smoother the shock evident on my face. "Who's the lucky girl?"

"What do you mean?"

"You're all dressed up." I motion down his body. "Do you have a hot date planned after this?"

He shakes his head and a sheepish looks comes over his face. "No, no date, just thought I'd try something new."

Candis lightly slaps him on the back. "Keep this up and it won't be long." She slides a conspiratorially glance my way.

Ignoring her, I bring my brother forward and make the introductions. When I tell him Eli is playing the same popular X-box game Cedric is currently obsessed with, my brother waste no time grilling him for tips.

A loud huff comes from Candis. "Maybe I wasn't clear earlier but I'm starving here people. Can we please take the nerd convo inside?"

"We better do as she says. She gets cranky when she's hungry." I urge them along as she stomps off.

Eli's brows quirk. "She must be hungry all the time, then."

"I heard that!"

When we get inside, most of the seats are taken but Candis and Ced find a table near the back leaving me with Eli to grab our orders. Once his back is turned, she puckers her lips making kissing noises and I roll my eyes at her childish antics.

She's hell bent on this crush madness especially after Eli hugged me when I showed him my passing Trig score yesterday.

I'm still not sure how I feel about it and since he hasn't brought it up, I'm fine living in the dark and continuing on with our easy, drama-free friendship.

"How was the game?"

We're standing in line as the familiar smell of grilled meat teases my appetite. I should be sick of burgers since I serve them up at the diner but the low grumble in my stomach says differently.

"Awesome, we won thirty-eight to thirty-five. I'm not sure but I think Coach Miller was crying."

"Probably so." He chuckles. "He's retiring this year. Best to go out with a bang."

While the line moves as slow as cold molasses, he tells me about dinner with his parents and their family trip to Texas for Spring Break next month. I'm about to tell him my grand, exciting plans of picking up extra shifts at the diner when we hear commotion behind us.

"Crestfield champs in the house!"

A round of applause and cheers follows the booming announcement. Some of the players strut in with their chest puffed out and big grins on their faces. They're all large and in charge eating up the town's adoration.

Following behind them are few guys from school who aren't on the team. I spot Marcus, stocky build with smooth dark skin and a fresh fade, Corbin with sleepy gray eyes and rosy cheeks, then Ian who looks aloof as ever, and lastly, him.

Justin strolls in with a casual bravado like he owns the place and no one is going to tell him differently. He's wearing a letterman jacket over a navy Polo, dark denim jeans, and a fresh pair of J's on his feet.