Chapter Seven: Eyes

Pacing. Counting the steps from one desk to the other. Ten to be exact. It seemed like such a short distance, yet it became longer with each heavy step. I bit at my nails until they became jagged and numb. The sound of Elysia's heels clicking against the floor was amplified by the silence of the room, interrupted only by a deep sigh escaping my lips. 

"This is a disaster." Tris' voice cut through the stillness like a blunt knife through bread. It was rough and shaky; the sound of failure, disappointment, and regret. 

I knew it all too well. 

Sighing, I began to massage my temples. "Alright, alright. It's not like someone has died or anything, guys." I felt both eyes snap towards me in disbelief. 

Shrugging, I grinned sheepishly. "What?"  

Tris stifled a laugh before returning to his usual stern expression. "They will if we don't find the book, Muna."  

"Why do you need to find this book so badly, anyway?" Elysia narrowed her eyes between us, the foundation layered on her face creasing as she furrowed her brow. 

I shot a glance at Tris, who seemed too caught up in his own thoughts to notice my cry for help. He ran his fingers along the desk and inspected the dust that lined it; like he expected a grubby bit of lint to hold the answer to everything.  

"Muna...did you see who bumped into me?" He rubbed his hands together and turned to lean against the table. 

Out of the corner of my eye, Elysia sucked her teeth in annoyance of his ignorance. Her mouth opened to say something however no audible words managed to escape from the pair of pouting pink-stained lips. 

She folded her arms over one another.  

"I-I can't exactly remember," I began to twiddle my fingers. "I can't think." 

"Well you're gonna have to try, Muna, because we're running out of options here." Tris punched his hand into the other continuously as his eyes darted between the both of us. 

Elysia cleared her throat. "Well, I remember what he looked like." 

"Go on." He reclined further onto the desk and raised his eyebrows. 

"That's if you want to actually listen." Elysia flashed him a sugar-coated smile, her immaculate false nails drumming against the desk. "So, are you going to?" 

"Elysia!" I whispered harshly. My eyes pleaded for her to stop and she chuckled in response.  

"Fine, fine," holding her hands up in surrender, she concealed the wicked gleam in her eye and continued. "He had curly brown hair, cute face, quite tall and muscular. He was pretty hot, mind. I would totally date--" 

"If only you didn't have a boyfriend, right? And anyway, we're not here to discuss how hot this guy was, remember?" Tris rolled his eyes. 

Elysia's mouth hung open in an 'O' shape, and her glare switched from me to Tris with a stricken expression lining her face. "Well thanks, you two. Not like I didn't come here to be attacked by the new boy, anyway. Next time you need help I'll be reminding myself of this moment." 

I laughed. If there was such thing as yin and yang in human form, it was most definitely Tris and Elysia. 

He shook his head, biting his lip to stop himself from grinning. Once Tris had recollected himself, he returned his gaze to her. "Is there anything else that you remember about him?"  

Elysia rested her back against the chair she was sat on; directing her eyes towards the classroom ceiling that was littered with student displays. "He was wearing this blue sweatshirt that said Eros on the back of it...or something like that, anyway."