68: Tough Girls Cry

Start from the beginning

"Ana, can you just tell us why we're here? What did Ruby do that has you so pissed?" Ziora asked what I had been meaning to and I waited for answers.

Naborhi gave a sigh and glanced ahead, parting her lips to speak and then all of a sudden, her frustrated expression morphed into her previous angry expression. A moment later, she walked passed us and before I could look up to see where she was going, I heard a familiar scream.

"My car! What happened to my car?" Ruby screamed as she sighted the broken windows of her car.

"I happened!" Naborhi replied her in a loud voice as she continued towards her.

I rushed over to stop the fight that was bound to occur. Naborhi wasn't just going to talk with Ruby. She wouldn't have smashed her windows if she just wanted to talk.

"Naborhi? Why are you at my house? Why the hell did you trash my car?"

"Your stupid car doesn't look half as bad as you're about to, if you don't keep your damn mouth shut!" Naborhi proceeded to throw a punch at Ruby but I caught her arm and pulled her behind me.

"Tiara, get your crazy friends off my property!" Ruby ordered, eyeing Naborhi who tried to get back to Ruby. Ziora and Tosin were sharp to pull her away immediately.

"What did you do to Ana?" I demanded an answer from my so called cousin and she rolled her eyes in response. "What the actual hell is wrong with you? Are you really that bored that you're going after my friends now?"

"I'd be careful who I call my friends if I were you." Ruby snarked, taking a step closer to me. She glanced at Naborhi for a moment, smirking.

"I swear to God, Ruby!" Naborhi yelled and Ruby's smirk got wider. She glanced back at me.

"If I had a friend that has lied to me the way Naborhi has, I would loose my mind, really." Ruby laughed, shaking her head. "I'll let you in on a little secret, Tiara but just because you're family."

Ruby leaned in towards my ear and I shoved her back, eyeing her. I didn't trust her not to try to bite my ear off or something. She always had an evil motive for every movement she made.

"Alright then. I'll just shout it out for the entire neighborhood to hear." Ruby shrugged and cupped her hands over her mouth to form an 'o' shape.

"Wait! I'll tell her myself." Naborhi interrupted Ruby and I turned around to face her. She had a scared look on her face.

"You've had weeks to tell her and you didn't, so, why now?" I heard Ruby ask but I paid no attention to her. My attention was focused on Naborhi who looked really scared at this point. She could barely even look at me. What was this secret that had her so rattled up?

Naborhi was quiet for a few moments as she bit on her lower lip nervously but when Ruby began to speak again, I cut her off.

"I don't care what you think you know about Ana and I don't care. What I do care about is my friend and you're messing with her, that is not okay with me!"

If Naborhi wanted me or the rest of our friends to know what her secret was, she would have told us. She had a right to have her own secrets and I wasn't mad at her from keeping them from me. I had my own secrets too and I would have never wanted anyone else finding out.

"You wouldn't defend her if you know what she did."

"I said I don't care!"

"Not even if she's a murderer?"

"Murderer? That's insane! Ana is not a murderer!" I defended my friend and Ziora and Tosin agreed from behind me.

"Well, she may not have killed that man with her bare hands but she was sleeping with his killer, knowing what he did, that makes her an accomplice. I mean, why do you think she came back to Nigeria after so long? She ran away from the cops and came to hide out here." Ruby threw accusations, quite boldly at that.

"I have had enough of your nonsense!" I slapped Ruby right across the face. This girl had accused me of being pregnant not so long ago and now, she was accusing my friend of being what? An accomplice to murder? Her lies just got worse and worse by the day.

"Are you mad?" Ruby yelled and slapped me right back.

A fight broke out from there. It was the first physical fight Ruby and I had, had in a while and it was just as gruesome as I could remember with the pulling and scratching and slapping, only this time it didn't last as long, as my friends pulled us apart.

"I said I was going to ruin you, Tiara and I will but I'll ruin your friends too. I'll bury all of you, I swear it!" Ruby yelled with eyes wide in rage and hatred as she touched the spot on her face that I had scratched. There was a scratch mark right above her jaw line and it had started to bleed a little. Ruby always brought out the worst side of me and I hated it. I had given up on violence but she had sucked me right back into the cycle.

"I have dealt with your bullshit all my life and I have let you get away with your lies this entire time but I will not tolerate you telling such lies about my friends!"

"Only if I was lying. Why don't you ask your dear Naborhi that you trust so much? Ask her why she showed up in Lagos all of a sudden when she wasn't even done shooting her latest movie?"

Ruby's eyes glanced behind me as she crossed her arms over her chest and I slowly turned towards Naborhi whose eyes was trained on the ground.

"Ana defend yourself!" I urged her and she slowly looked up at me. She could barely look me in the eye and she couldn't seem to speak up.

"Ana!" Ziora called her and she gave a heavy sigh.

"I got involved with some dangerous guys a couple of months ago." Naborhi began to explain in a shakey voice. Was Ruby right? Why wasn't Naborhi denying her claims?

"Ana!" Ziora called out in disbelief and Naborhi broke down in tears once again. This was the second time in a couple of minutes I had seen her cry. She was always so strong but now, she looked so weak and vulnerable. It broke my heart completely.

"There was this guy, you know, your typical hot, brooding bad boy but he was a nice guy and I thought he was just misunderstood. I was stupid, I admit that but I didn't know he was a murderer, I promise!" Naborhi promised as she glanced at us with tears in her eyes.

"Aww, poor Naborhi. You should save your fake tears and cock and bull story for the police. They know where you are and so do the rest of the world." Ruby interrupted.

"What?" Naborhi snapped around in Ruby's direction.

"The story of Anaborhi and her killer boyfriend should be all over the news by now." Ruby said with a sick smile and I gasped in disbelief. I couldn't believe such an evil person was related to me. Why was she doing this?

As if on cue, Naborhi's phone began to ring. She hesitantly pulled it out and stared at the screen for a few moments.

"You might want to get that." Ruby prompted.

Naborhi's hand began to tremble as she swiped on her screen to answer the call.

"D-Detective Shaw?" Naborhi answered and my eyes widened. Why was a detective calling her? "You have to get me out of here, he's going to find me."

**************************

I'm thinking of writing a spin off book for Naborhi. What do you guys think?