you belong with me (1)

"you really think he likes me back?" i ask my best friend, watching her walk across the kitchen

"yeah definitely. did you see the way he looked at you last week?"
"isn't that what best friends do though? love eachother?" i ask
"yeah sure," she replies, "but that type of look was not a friend look. that's for sure." she chuckles.

i think to myself. you only live once, might as well give it a go. i open up my phone and text mason. 'hey, want to meet up later?'
no.
'hi want to talk later?'
no
nothing sounded right.

mason 💙

me
hii! want to go out later?

mason
heyy, i can't later i'm sorry. i've got a date

me
oh! okay! who with why didn't you tell me??

mason
it's with emily, remember i told you about her?

me
oh i must've forgotten what a shame okay well anyway have fun bye

———————————————————
my heart shatters as i place my phone back down on the counter. sasha looks at me, knowing what has happened.
"he's got a date." i say, taking her by surprise.
"wait what? i thought he'd said he didn't want to go out?"
"well, he did. but told me his other plans" i roll my eyes, placing my head in my arms. she rubs my back and leans down to hug me.
"i've left it too late haven't i?" i ask mumbling.
"of course you haven't. there's still a possibility he likes you, don't doubt it now."
"no one can replace you, y/n. you're the one who understands him."
i agree with what she said. i get up from my chair and head upstairs. i enter my bedroom and start searching for masons old hoodie he gave me a few months ago, as an excuse to go and see him before his date. after i had found it, i text him again.

mason 💙

mason
oh okay

me
what time is it?

mason
the dates in an hour, why?

me
i wanted to drop your old hoodie over

mason
you can come over now
read 7:47pm

———————————————————

i arrive at masons house and park my car in his drive way. after, i leave my car and lock it behind me, i walk up to masons door and knock on it lightly. i see mason approach the door and open it. "hey, come in" he says, i thank him and walk in, closing the door behind me.
"here's the hoodie, thought you would want it back"
"thanks," he replies , taking the hoodie from my hands.
"smells like you" he chuckles, placing it down on the table. i smile, "you look good!"
"thank you!" he smiles back.

"i did want to tell you about somethin-" the door bell rings, mason looks at me immediately. "sorry, thinks she's here now" he walks to the door, leaving me in the living room alone.
he walks into the living room, emily following behind him. "hiya!" she greets me, "hi!" i say back, not wanting to be rude.
"what did you want to tell me?" he asks, allowing emily to sit down if she needed. i shake my head, "leave it. it's okay. have fun on your date" my eyes began to water, knowing that i've left it too late. masons notices and gives me a sympathetic look. i ignore it and walk out of the living room, opening the front door and shutting it after myself. i open up my car as i see mason come out of the house with emily, locking it behind them both. i get into my car and turn on the engine. mason continues to look at me as i pull out of the drive way, heading off back home.

"how did it go?" sasha asks, the line slightly breaking up on the phone.
"it's too late, he's gone off on his date. she got there right as i was about to tell him." i say, my voice breaking from hurt. sasha sighs,
"honestly y/n, he will know how much he means to you and will realize, you two belong together. it's in the stars baby, i promise you."
i chuckle, "i love you, i'll see you when i get home"
"okay, drive safe love"