Maggie was a seven year old golden retriever, who Paige met at the humane society she volunteered at, and introduced to Steve and Bre. They fell in love with her and Steve adopted her a few weeks ago. Paige had also been coming every day to let her out and give her attention until Bre finished work for the summer.

"I missed you!!!", Paige squealed, wrapping Maggie in a bear hug.

Steve had followed Bre out on the porch, and she glanced over at him, amused at Paige's enthusiasm. He was also watching Paige with amusement and affection on his face. Bre glanced at Brad. He had the exact same expression on his, too.

Smiling, Brad reached down, ruffled Maggie's head, and continued walking up the stairs.

Steve met his gaze. "Thanks for coming", he said, smiling. Then Bre watched his expression change to alarm.

"Woah, what happened to your eye? Paigie punch you, too?"

Bre looked at Brad's face closer. He had a deep purple crescent-shaped bruise on his right cheekbone.

Bre knew exactly what Steve was referring to. When Paige had broken up with Steve, he lost it, grabbed her by the shoulders and was yelling into her face, so she freaked out and punched him to get away. Which actually resulted in her breaking her hand.

"Close", Brad said, the smile disappearing, and his normal unapproachable scowl resumed it's tenancy. "It was her elbow".

"You practicing your self defense?", Bre asked, as Paige stood and brushed off her bare knees. Her legs were tanned, toned, and perfect. She was wearing dark blue denim shorts with ripping and frayed hems, a navy v-neck t-shirt, and a purple, white, and navy flannel with navy converse flats.

She started up the stairs. "No, I had a nightmare". She watched the stairs walking up.

"Are you serious?", Bre asked.

Paige met her eyes. She looked uncomfortable and her cheeks were turning pink.

"Yep".

Bre dropped it. She had a feeling she knew what it was about.

As Paige moved up next to Brad, Steve plopped one giant hand on top of her french-braided head.

"You hurt your elbow, Paigie?"

"No, I'm fine".

"What was this nightmare about?", Steve asked, his hand still on her head. She looked up at him, a line between her delicate brown eyebrows.

"It wasn't about Drew", she assured him.

Bre watched Steve clench his jaw and slowly move his gaze to Brad. Brad gave him an almost imperceptible nod and Steve immediately looked angry.

Bre decided to break up the nightmare discussion.

"Okay, well, Paige and I have a lot to do, as I'm sure you boys do, also. So let's get cracking! We can feed you lunch in a couple hours, if that's okay".

"Thanks, Bre", Brad said, meeting her eyes as Steve removed his hand from Paige's head and she scooted inside. Bre had a feeling he was thanking her for more than lunch.

...........................................................................

Bre and Paige were looking at flowers online to try to get an idea of what she wanted her bouquets and boutonnieres to look like.

"I'm really sorry I pointed out your scar", Bre said quietly.

"What? Bre, don't even give it another thought! That didn't bother me yesterday at all!"