Prologue

Leylani ran through the desolate city streets, trying to find shelter, as her drunkard father chased her. Tears fells from her eyes and sobs racked through her body. Agony flowed through her veins as she realized she would die tonight. Her father wouldn't stop pursuing her until he had strangled the life out of her.

Blaring headlights raced towards her. Leylani screamed as the motorcycle came to a screeching halt inches away from her face. She fell backwards, her heart drumming in her chest. The rider held out a gloved hand.

"You coming, darling?"

Leylani hesitated. Indecision knotted her stomach. On one hand, she wanted an escape. On the other, she didn't know if going with the stranger would result in catastrophe. You weren't supposed to talk to strangers, let alone get on a motorcycle with them.

The driver took off his helmet. Leylani gasped as she recognized the man before her. His signature raven curls, icy blue eyes, and smirk were unforgettable. "Nikolai," she says as she realizes the school's bad boy had come to save her. She took his hand. Butterflies swarmed her stomach as he pulled her onto his lap. Leylani's body trembled with anticipation and excitement as Nikolai's lean muscles held her captive in his hold.

He handed her a gun. Leylani's stomach lurched as her fingers wrapped around the grip of the gun. The voice in her head screamed at her to drop the gun, but she couldn't bring her fingers to move. Not when Nikolai was staring at her, as if she was the only girl in the world.

"I'll drive, you shoot," he said.

Several black cars turned the corner, heading straight for them. He takes off, escaping the incoming cars. Leylani winces and tucks her head under his chin. As the passengers in the cars shoot at them, Leylani realizes that Nikolai's enemies had just become hers. He peeks down at her, a smile on his face. "Welcome to the mafia, darling."