Fifty-four

Scott followed Felix as he wove his way through the classroom greeting each child with kind words and a soft touch.

Most of the teens responded happily to his presence. Two made no noticeable response, but Felix was not put off. One of the teens was in a reclining wheelchair and looked like their bones were twisted and bent.

An aide had just brought a bag of food over and was setting up a feeding tube.

Felix reached for the bag and read the label before talking to the teen cheerfully. "Ooh, you'll like this, Sam. It's peaches." He helped the aide keep the hose from twisting as the line was hung on the support over the chair.

Scott excused himself and went to serve food to other students. Most of them in this class needed a lot of support. Anything they could do to make lunchtime go more smoothly would be appreciated. Scott wasn't nearly as skilled as Felix, but it wasn't his first time pitching in either, so he didn't hesitate.

"Anyone in particular I can help feed?" Scott asked helpfully.

"Come feed Jamie. Take your time but talk to him about what you're feeding him. He really likes it when he has someone's undivided attention." An aide handed him a bowl of soft food.

Scott took the bowl and smiled down at Jamie as he sat in the chair beside his elevated reclining wheelchair.

"Hi, Jamie. I'm Scott. I'm married to your teacher Mr. Felix. How about some nice sweet potatoes for lunch?" Scott touched the edge of the spoon to Jamie's lip since it was obvious to him that Jamie was blind.

Jamie's mouth opened and made smacking sounds.

"I got you, Jamie. Try this." He continued to spoon in bites as he spoke encouragingly to the teen.

Felix glanced over from where he was feeding a teen girl and smiled at his husband. It always warmed his heart to see Scott so accepting of his kids. It wasn't a situation just anyone could walk into so gracefully, but Scott made it look effortless. He returned his attention to the children near him asking a few questions of the staff. It was clear that everything had been under control in his absence which was a peace of mind for him. He recognized that Easton needed them at the moment, but he would also be glad to get back to his other kids too. He explained it was expected to only be for a few more days until his return to work and hopefully Easton would be joining the school.

Once lunch had been completed, they decided it was time to gather up Easton and get on their way. Scott was returning to his shift tonight and needed a nap before supper. Felix expected Easton would need a nap too after the busy and exciting morning. He walked around hugging the children and reminding them he would be back in just a few days.

Outside the classroom, Felix reached over and hugged Scott. "I needed that more than I realized."

"I know it's hard to be away from your students. They really blossom under your attention. You're a great teacher."

"Thanks, Hon. Now let's go get our little boy and head home."

They found Easton on the playground stepping up carefully onto a platform on the train climber. There were several children around him. As they walked up they heard one boy ask "Is them you daddies bringed you here today?"

"Dey's my new daddy an' papa. Dey wescoo me an' bringed me to dere house. Now I's dots two brudders too. Dem go to big boy skoos."

"I dots big brudders too!" The boy answered excitedly.

"Does dey pway wiz oo an' hep oo do stuff?" Easton asked.

"When mommy makes them, dey do, bu' udder times dey don't."

"Oh, I sowwy." Easton said as he gave the boy a hug.

Scott and Felix smiled at each other.

"Hey, E. Time to say goodbye to your new friends. Hopefully you can see them again really soon."

"How soon, Daddy?" Easton questioned.

"Maybe after you see the doctor on Monday."

Easton cheered and started hugging his new friends. He even went up to Mr. Michael and raised his arms to be picked up.

"Fank you fo takin' tare of me when my daddies went to da office."

"You're very welcome, Easton. I hope we get to see you again soon."

"Daddy say maybe Monday."

"Oh good." He set Easton back on his feet.

Easton waved at the other children as he ran back to Scott and Felix. He threw himself at their legs and squeezed. "Fank you, Daddy. Fank you, Papa!"

"For what, E?" Scott asked.

"You gived me frens! I no hab frens in wong time."

"You're welcome, Sweet Boy." Felix answered as he swooped Easton into his arms and gave him a noisy kiss on the cheek making Easton shrug and giggle. "It's time to head home so you and Daddy can take a nap."

"Daddy takin nap too?" He asked with his head tilted in surprise.

"Yes, Daddy is going back to work tonight and needs a nap before dinner."

"Daddy hasta doe back to work?"

"Yes, I do, E. It's one of the ways I take care of you. Both Papa and I contribute to pay for food, our home, bills, and other stuff."

"Will you be wiz me, Papa?"

"Yes, because little boys should never be left alone."

"Promise?"

"Absolutely."

"Otay." Easton responded reluctantly. "Tan I has bottle afore my nap?" He thought quickly.

"Yes, and I'll even rock you." Scott suggested.

"Yay!"

They had arrived at the van, so Scott opened the door while Felix settled him in his carseat.

"Let's get home."

"Home!" Easton cheered.

Author's Note: I know this is a short chapter, but I wanted to get something new out there. I've been so moved to see new readers start this story. That's for everyone's interest in this book.