Ten

It was around ten p.m. when Scott and Felix decided to head to bed, stripping out of their day clothes, and into loose-fitting pajama bottoms, Felix often one to wear a pajama top too, though on warmer nights he tended to not bother.

"We have to let work know about Easton." Scott started, folding the covers back and sliding underneath. Felix quickly following suit. "Quicker the better, and once properly settled, I see no reason why we can't go back, as  Easton should have started school by then." The man made a valid point, Scott thought as he opened up his arms for Felix to fall into. "Explain how we need a few week breaks, get Easton settled and find him a school. I don't think they'll decline.   We've been able to get leave before when we had a new foster to settle.  Even if they don't give us paid leave, we have money saved we can use. We won't struggle." The blonde man smiled reassuringly, turning his attention to look into his husband's eyes.

"Yeah we do." Felix agreed. "I emailed my director already before I came to bed.  I'll call in the morning too.  Night, love." Felix leaned up to kiss Scott on the lips.

Scott deepened the kiss. Felix knew it was a demonstration of his love as well as an expression of his joy that they had rescued Easton.  Scott was always his happiest when they had a new child in the house. "Night, babe," Scott replied, settling down and curling around Felix being the big spoon. He sighed happily content to have his husband cuddle into him.

When they tucked Easton into bed they'd hoped he'd get a good night's rest.  His body was still healing and needed even more rest than healthy children do.  Those hopes were shattered just after they went to bed.

The nightmares began to torment him with images of his father screaming and throwing glass bottles at him.  Some hit him while others shattered near him.  The inescapable fear pushed him over the edge into a flashback.  His face contorted in pain and whimpers slipped from his lips, but he couldn't avoid the memory clutching him in its grasp.

Beginning Of Flashback

"You filthy brat! How dare you give me this stuff! This isn't even edible!" Ryan tossed the plate at him. "Make me something else, and don't ruin it to shreds this time for fuck sake!" Ryan roared, not finding the ripped ham sandwich appealing.

He didn't care how hard the five-year-old worked on it. He just cared about eating something that didn't have the bread ripped and lumpy butter all he could taste.

Easton scurried into the kitchen, not entirely sure what to do next for his drunken father, only having the skills to make cereal and sandwiches, as at least Ryan had enough sense in him to not have his son use the oven or burner.  It doesn't help when the cupboards were mostly bare.  This time trying his very hardest to not rip the bread when buttering, Easton remade the sandwich, taking it slow and steady. He didn't want to make any mistakes this time and risk getting more punishment.  When it was done, put together much better than the first attempt, the boy set it on a different plate and brought it through to where his Daddy was impatiently waiting. Regardless of how careful he was, he still managed to trip over his own feet causing  the sandwich to jump off the plate and hitting his Daddy square in the face.

Rather than worry if his son was alright, the man growled and threw the yet again ruined snack to the floor.  His face red from the fall, and knowing he was in trouble, Easton stood still.  Running away is a no-no.

"How dare you ruin my pissing food again ,you fucking brat!" Ryan grabbed the boy, pulling the boy's arm roughly and bending him over his lap with his hand moving hard and fast.  Spanks rained down on the boy's bare behind, followed by a hard shove to the ground, ending with kicks to the stomach.