Chapter 14: What Are You Doing?!

For a few solid weeks, Anthony was secretly miserable. He carried on with his business — personal and Smosh-related — quietly, as if he and Ian had never had a falling out. He arranged future meetings, made agreements, uploaded videos. But when he was at home alone in the Smosh house, he sat, tired and lonely. He stared blankly at a plasma television, constantly ate leftover Chinese takeout, and scoured Ian’s social media platforms in hope that he might get some kind of hint to where he’d ran off to. At night, he cried. 

They were all in different variations. There was the silent cry, one that came as he got ready to leave the living room and head to bed, as he would remember Ian slapping him on the shoulder and laughingly wish him nightmares. There was the laughing-cry, that occurred when a cute or funny memory of Ian would pop into his head. Like how they’d fall asleep on the floor or couch together playing video games, or when they’d throw pizza at each other. There was the loud, wracking sobs that shook his shoulders maniacally, consuming him as he’d finally settle into bed at night. These were constant and took place every single night as he caught a glimpse into Ian or Audrina’s room or even thought about them. About how Audrina had never known what crying was until he’d given her up foolishly. Or how Ian’s beautiful, nude body had been in his bed only weeks before. 

Anthony would have guessed that Ian was somewhere in LA, considering that was where most of their friends lived. Be that as it may, he’d yet to brave the plane ride to southern California, despite Smosh Games. This was due to the fact that Ian had called off any filming with Anthony that they’d previously scheduled. Luckily, they had an abundance of Smosh videos saved up. But they were running out quickly. 

More than that, was absolutely terrified as to what Ian would do upon meeting him again. During their last conversation, Ian had screamed at him, cried, and punched him in the face — something both of them had sworn against years before. Anthony knew that he’d deserved every moment of it, but it didn’t stop the utter and raw pain that he felt deep in his chest. 

For over fifteen years, Ian had been his one and only constant. He’d always been there when someone else was there or when they were not. He was there when Anthony had had girlfriends and when he did not. He was there with Anthony all throughout high school and all throughout his awkward teenage years. Ian never had never judged him for anything that Anthony had ever done. He’d been his shoulder to cry on, his rock, his best friend, and more recently, his lover. And every part of him, missed every single fucking piece of Ian. 

He honestly couldn’t believe how shitty he’d truly treated Ian over the years. Asking him for girl advice, throwing how many girls he was sleeping with in his face, teasing him about when — and if — he’d get a girlfriend, bothering him about actually caring for Audrina, throwing him out of his own Goddamn bed so that he could fuck his girlfriend. He was a terrible friend, but more than that, he was a terrible partner. He understood that he oftentimes took the majority of credit for Smosh and didn’t let Ian talk as much as he should. Ian was quieter and more shy, which Anthony — more often than he’d like to admit — took advantage of.

In a nutshell, he felt like an all around, fucked up person. He’d had a great, loyal best friend, a sweet, adorable child, a fantastic job, and quite possibly a life partner, but he’d lost all of it, all because of his own selfishness and insecurities. Hell, he couldn’t even work up enough courage to go to LA (or wherever) to find said friend. 

That is, until he received a call from Mari Takahashi one early, Monday morning. 

His phone had went off and groggily, he’d reached over to his bedside table, knocking over a glass of water. It clattered to the floor and splashed all over his plush carpeting. 

“Son of a bitch,” he’d murmured, blinking sleep out of his eyes. He pressed the phone to his ear without even bothering to look at the caller. “Hello?” he answered faintly. 

“Anthony Padilla, what the fuck are you doing?!” an angry, feminine voice exploded in his ear. 

He groaned, using his other hand to wipe at his eyes. “Mari? What do you mean?” 

“I mean that Ian Hecox, your best friend, the guy you’re in love with, the guy in love with you, father of your daughter, is at my apartment and has been for far too long. Now, don’t get me wrong, I love Ian to pieces and would love to have him around all of the time, but he belongs with you, Anthony. Not me. You-” she didn’t get to finish her long spiel due to Anthony cutting her off. 

“No, no!” Anthony protested, “I don’t know what Ian told you, but he left me. I can’t just go after him. He wants nothing to do with me!” 

Mari took a deep breath. “That’s the exact opposite of what he wants, Anthony! Sure, you fucked up, you fucked you big time. But he loves you and he loves Audrina and he wants both of you back. And neither of that can happen if you don’t come talk to him. I can’t let you ruin all three of your lives.” 

“But-”

“No buts,” she interjected. “Just get your ass on a plane.” 

And Anthony woke up, showered, packed, and did just that. 

(Warning: I use the word literally way too much in this little blurb): I’m sorry for not updating sooner, but I’ve been crazy busy with prom shopping and school and just a lot of stuff. Sorry, sorry, sorry. BUT CAN WE TALK ABOUT HOW SMOSH LITERALLY STOLE MY FIC IDEA?! In one of their newer videos, WORST PARENTS EVER, they LITERALLY had a baby dropped off at their house IN WHICH THEY HAD TO TAKE CARE OF IT! And in the BTS, they were pretending to be a couple WITH A BABY GIRL. AND IAN WAS HOLDING HER LIKE HE WAS LEGIT HER DAD. AND ANTHONY WAS RELUCTANT. I was freaking out and my Twitter friends were freaking out AND IT WAS JUST A HUGE FREAKOUT. Anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed the chapter! :D