🔥 the blizzard ❄️

Y/n POV:

"Here, Y/n," my cousin Sohta said, holding out his hand. "I can carry your fish basket for you."

"You have your own basket," I told him.

"Oh please," he scoffed. "I can carry two."

"Well, if you insist..."

Sohta slung his basket over one shoulder and my own over his other. I noticed him looking out to the side.

"Ohhh, I see," I smirked. "Trying to impress someone?"

"What?" He asked, his face flushing red. "No!"

"Uh huh," I said, unconvinced. "Then why is your face red?"

"Um... it's cold out?"

"Is that an answer or a question?"

"Answer?"

I snickered and glanced over to where he'd been looking. Walking a few yards away was one of my childhood friends, a girl named Kaori. Sohta and she had been friends for forever. But now I saw the way my cousin looked at her.

"Awwww," I cooed. "You have a crush on Kaori?"

"N-No!"

"Sure," I turned away, but the teasing smile was still on my lips.

"I swear, Y/n, I'm going to open one of these baskets and throw a fish in your face."

"Gotta catch me first!" I yelled, dashing away and to the front of the group. I heard Sohta mumbling a curse behind me.

A few minutes later, it began to snow. I tightened my hood around my head and blocked the flurries with my arm. I tried to waterbend the snow away, but my bending wasn't all that good yet.

"Guys, we should find shel-"

I turned back, but couldn't see anyone.

"Guys?"

I retraced my footprints, but the storm was thickening and I could barely see four feet in front of me. Snow and wind bit at the exposed skin on my face.

"Sohta!" I yelled. "Kaori! Anyone?"

Still nothing.

By now, the trail of my own footprints had disappeared in the heavy snowfall. I was now alone and had no idea where I was.

I hissed a breath in through my mouth. It felt like little cold needles embedding themselves in the back of my throat. I clenched my jaw, wrapped my arms around myself, and stumbled forward in what I think was the direction of the village.

Like my luck couldn't get any worse, the blizzard intensified. Every breath was painful now. Melted snow was soaking in through my boots, and I couldn't feel my toes, fingers, or face.

C'mon, Y/n, I told myself, looking up and glaring at the clouds. This stupid storm can't push you down. One more step. Just a couple more...

I tripped on a rock buried in the snow and faceplanted.

"Fuck!" I yelled into the snow-covered ground, forcing myself to sit up. I could barely move. How long have I been out here? It felt like hours.

My teeth chattered, and my body was shaking so hard that my vision was beginning to blur. I stood, even though it was painful, and turned a desperate three-sixty.

Between the howling of the angry winds, I thought I heard something. A man's voice, distant and muffled, but still audible.

"Hello?" I yelled, my voice hoarse. "Is someone out there?"

I heard no response, not even a faint one. Wind whipped snow into my eyes. My throat hurt from the cold air I was forced to breathe in, and the yelling didn't help.

I clenched my numb hands in my gloves and continued onward, but I doubt I got very far before a particularly strong gust forced me to my knees. We'd had storms this bad back home, but every time I'd been safe inside an ice hut by a warm fire.

Now, all three of those things— safety, huts, and fire— were far out of my reach. What I'd give to have even one of them now.

Then, finally, out of the corner of my eye, I spotted a tree. It was obviously dead, skinny and pathetically withering, but it still might give me a chance. I rushed over as fast as I could and anchored myself to the trunk with my arm, bringing my knees to my chin and trying to conserve what little warmth I had left.

I probably had frostbite by now. Fuck frostbite, I'd be lucky to make it out of this alive.

I rested my forehead on my knees, letting my thick coat sleeves shield my face from more snow. Slowly, feeling returned to my face. Outside my little ball, I could hear the storm dying down. Waiting the rest of it out was my best chance.

My eyes drooped closed. I forced them back open. We'd been heading back to the village in early evening, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was nighttime already. With the heavy storm, I couldn't tell.

Despite the internal warning that I shouldn't fall asleep outside in the middle of a blizzard, I couldn't stop myself.

My eyes slid shut, and I fell into unconsciousness.