Chapter 27 : Domestic Affairs

Early and long chapter ahead! Happy reading :)

- - - - ♡ - - - -

tum mile toh har pal hai naya

- - - - ♡ - - - -

Sharanya quietly entered the room after she had helped Ajji pack her stuff. Nikhil had left his coffee untouched at the table. She had reheated it for him. She closed the door halfway as she entered. His gaze was fixed on the computer screen, he was reading some word document. She walked over and placed the coffee mug on the table, that caused him to glanced up at her.

Sharanya wanted to ask him his reason for lying. She wanted to know why he shared bitterness with his brother. But one look at him and she could make out his annoyance and anger.

"I am sorry," she said. She wasn't even sure why she was apologizing. Maybe because she triggered the quarrel between the mother-son duo.

"Wasn't your fault," He said, meeting her gaze, saying those words like he really meant them. "Thanks," He added, taking the coffee mug into his hands turning the chair a bit to look back at the screen.

Sharanya stared at him, pondering. She had got his message, that he didn't want to talk. However, she spoke up with a bit of hesitation "Should I go and talk to Amma?"

"No," He said, without turning to look at her. "She's angry, she won't listen to anyone. She'll only get irritated." He said, adjusting his glasses as he peered at the screen.

"Are we going to go to drop them at the railway station?" She asked.

"I'll call Pratik. He'll drop them," He said.

Sharanya looked at him with keen observation. He was angry. It was the first time she saw that side of him. She was not sure if she should freely express what she thought on the entire situation. The last thing she wanted was his anger to rain on her. She was about to turn around and leave when Ajji's advice rang in her head.

She looked at him again, "It would be nice if you drop your grandparents, wouldn't it?"

Nikhil turned his head in her direction at looked at her.

"I mean, they are here for you. I am sure they'll not be happy going back without seeing you happily bid farewell." She explained softly. Seeing him just stare at her, Sharanya began to have doubts. Maybe she should have kept to herself. "Just my thoughts," she added cautiously, deciding to leave him alone.

Nikhil simply watched her leave the room. He usually didn't like to be told what to do. But he reflected on what she said, she made sense. He decided he'd go drop them to the railway station. He sat their staring at the sleek computer-screen, reading nothing from the document he was viewing, his attention was stuck in the web of his thoughts.

* * *

Sharanya was deep in her thoughts as she sliced an apple for herself. She had never expected so much drama to occur in her married life. She had assumed it would be simpler, at least from the earlier years of her life. Who had guessed that one week into the marriage and she'd face her mother-in-law's bitterness! She couldn't help but watch her doubts slowly become heavier — Nikhil's mother didn't like her, did she?

She had offered to help prepare and pack the lunch for them but his mother had dismissed her albeit subtly, asking her to go check if his grandparents needed help. Sharanya barely knew her, yet her cold attitude bothered her. Was it the beginning of yet another horrible relationship?