Chapter 6 : How I met your mother!

Achchi Lagti Ho

~ ~ ~ ♡ ~ ~ ~

"I look okay naa?" Sharanya asked Gargi in a soft whisper, as they got off the car.

Gargi turned to her friend. She had donned a dark blue dress, which was best described by one word— plain. However, the dupatta was a beautiful silk one of a dominant purple shade with delicate thread work. The dupatta more than compensated the plain look of the long kurta.

Gargi gave her friend's arm a light squeeze who was readjusting the braid on her shoulder nervously. "You look just fine. Now stop fidgeting with your hair, you'll disturb them."

Any other day Gargi would have forced Sharanya to open her hair and use clips to give them a nice puff on the centre and leave the curls free. That hairstyle suited her friend the most. But Sharanya was fussy when it came to opening her hair. She preferred to have her hair tied into a bun or twisted into a braid any day. However, today they were running a little tight on time. They didn't want to be late, so the braid it was.

Sharanya hadn't felt this nervous on the other night when she was going to meet Nikhil. She finally knew by first hand experience that meeting a prospective mother-in-law was more nerve-wracking than meeting a prospective husband.

"Arun, did you switch off the geyser?" Gargi asked as she fell in step with her husband.

Sharanya who was closely following her friend simply listened as the two went back and forth about who always remembered to check things before they left.

"Gargi, let it pass." Sharanya muttered to her friend. Their conversation was on the borderline to be an argument. Sharanya wanted their undivided support presently.

For first time in many years, Sharanya felt kicked out of her sweet comfort zone. She told herself this was the beginning of a new chapter of life. She had to make efforts to push herself out of the comfort zone that she had built for herself over years. It would, no doubt, be terrifying and extremely difficult but it would be worth it. At least it would be better than being locked all alone in a comfort zone and wonder what if she had ventured out.

The building was an ordinary one. It housed a few apartments, Sharanya assumed. It was situated in a lane in the prime location. Just a kilometre away was the buzzing expensive market that had independent stores of high-end brands.

Sharanya was in for a surprise the elevator opened to an empty passageway whose walls were decorated with elegantly arranged paintings on either side. It wasn't an overdo, just simple stuff, but very nicely put together. Two huge vases with artificial leaves were on each side of the passageway spaced at a distance of a meter. They enhanced the setting.

She looked at the floor a little ahead of the door was a magnificent and symmetrical Rangoli, made in traditional white powder. The pattern was beautiful, almost appearing perfect.

There was a huge metallic wall hanging of Ganesha. Sharanya's lips formed into a curve. It was one of the most beautiful pieces she had seen. The eyes of the elephant faced God appeared were strikingly gorgeous.

"Hi!"

Sharanya turned her face to the front. Nikhil stood at the doorstep greeting them. Seems like the watchman informed him of the arrival of guests so there wasn't a need to ring the doorbell. His eyes met hers.

"Hi!" Sharanya smiled. Taking a minute to take in his look. Faded blue plain shirt whose sleeves had been neatly folded up the elbow, and black trousers. His beard was a little more denser than last time they met. Looked like he hadn't shaved since Friday.