Chapter 20 : The Wedding Night

Do take out a minute to vote for the previous chapters. :)

Happy reading :)

- - - - ♡ - - - -

ek din aap yun humko mil jayenge

- - - - ♡ - - - -

As a teenager, Sharanya had always thought that love was an essential part of marriage. That you had to absolutely love the person you were going to spend more than half of your life with.

She timidly sat at the edge of the bed, thinking how wrong she was. She wasn't even comfortable around Nikhil. She nervously looked around the room. It was just as nice and spacious as the last time she had been in the room. She shouldn't have fallen for the marriage trap. She had lost count of the small things that worried her.

The good part was by six in the evening everything was done. Although it seemed like forever. She was up a little before six, early in the morning. Everyone around had been supportive and she absolutely cherished being pampered by everyone in the family.

She and Harhsit, finally had a short emotional conversation the previous night. He hadn't told her what was up in his life, but he had promised to take care of everything at home. Sharanya hoped her absence matured him. Akshaya had cried in her arms at night.

When her mother had passed away, Sharanya had promised to herself during her mother's last rites that she would always pamper her sister and be there for her, just like her Amma was always there for her. Sharanya was a sensible teenager then but Akshaya was so young and naive. The little girl was inconsolable, she had cried for weeks. All of them were broken so badly when their mother had left them. Their mother was everyone's favourite person. Mature, and sensible woman who made their small apartment a fairy tale castle. Her death had, no doubt, changed everyone including Sharanya.

It was way harder than Sharanya had ever thought it would be to leave home. Her father didn't say but she saw it on his face. He was sad. He was cheerful and smiled throughout the wedding celebrations but she knew inside he was crying. She had also courageously smiled throughout and made remarks on how they'd all benefit once she was gone.

"Hey," Nikhil greeted entering the room.

Sharanya smiled a little, "All okay?" She asked.

"Yeah, I just told Maa, we'll have an early dinner and sleep. I can barely keep my eyes open," He said, looking around his own room nervously as he shut the door.

Sharanya gulped, curling her toes. She had felt much better after changing into a comfortable cotton dress. The heavy gold jewellery and silk saree made her feel like summer was here. Her headache had reduced after having the fresh juice. She was glad Gargi and Arun had accompanied them to assist with the rituals. After quickly completing the rituals, Mrs. Kumar had sent her back home to rest. Sharanya didn't know if she was just being unreasonable but for a weird reason she felt Nikhil's mother like Gargi more than she liked her. She spoke so sweetly to Gargi! Perhaps it was the fact that Gargi was naturally lovable, the woman was a natural charmer.

Sharanya had grown to like Nikhil's Ajji. She truly made her feel like she was going to have a family. The kind old lady had made it very clear that she wouldn't tolerate any aunty, uncle from her. Nikhil's mother was her mother, Nikhil's grandparents her grandparents. Sharanya still had to get the hang of calling his mother Amma. The word just brought back memories of her own mother. With memories came nostalgia and the dull ache in her heart.