CHAPTER 43 ↠ payday

Depuis le début

Tommy just nods and then Bea exits the room and goes to the bar with Bonnie and Isaiah. When they have their drinks, they go sit down at a table in the main saloon, since the bar saloon seems more crowded. 

They were speaking as if Isaiah and Bonnie were good friends as well. Isaiah assuring Bonnie that Bea had been laying low and not getting any trouble. They also spoke about training together one day, since Isaiah also used to practice boxing, even though he was never planning on going professional like Bonnie.

It had been a while before Finn showed up, despite telling Isaiah that he wasn't going.

"Oh, look. What a surprise," Isaiah says ironically. "Changed your mind?" he asks when Finn reaches the table. "Date didn't show up?" he tries to contain his laugh.

Bea was sure that despite all the secrecy and not being seen together much, Isaiah figured out there was something going on between her and Finn. However, the way Finn acted while drunk, calling her 'Bumble' and asking her to stay with him surely did not help with keeping it a secret. 

"Changed my mind," Finn simply says. "Nice to see you, Bonnie."

"Mr. Shelby," Bonnie says respectfully.

"Can I get you another drink?"

Bea furrowed her brows only for a second, finding it weird that Finn would offer anything to Bonnie in the first place.

"No, I'm all right. My sister is paying for me tonight, as well."

"Payday," Bea explains at Finn's confused expression. "First pay has to be to gift Bonnie something. He chose drinks."

Bonnie raises the glass in front of him and then drinks a bit more.

"I'm going to get something for myself, then," Finn says before going.

Bea wanted to go with Finn, to talk to him alone, but she knew that going straight away would bring too much suspicion on Isaiah. Then again, he already seemed to know. And Bonnie knew it as well. He told her he had witnessed them kissing the first time and suspected that Bea had never gotten too close with Michael because of Finn. So, what was the point of pretending like there was nothing between them?

Finn looked discretely over the shoulder and nodded his head, asking Bea to go over.

"I'm getting another gin," Bea announces before standing with her empty glass and going to the bar.

"I thought I was getting you from Tommy's office."

"I was waiting but then Isaiah showed up, and when I said I didn't want to drink he said you'd said the same thing... I just didn't want him to think... It was stupid. Never mind."

"You don't want him to know?"

"I don't want him to talk about it. He mentions something to someone and suddenly everyone knows."

"Including your brother?" Finn asks, looking back at the table and seeing Bonnie staring back at him.

"Actually, he kind of already knows."

"He knows?"

"The night of the dinner at Tommy's house. When we kissed and he was drunk and sick... he saw."

"So your brother is fine with me being with you?"

"I guess so... When we talked about it he didn't seem to mind. And, even if you two aren't friends or anything, I think he liked you."

Finn gets a smug look on his face and stands straighter.

Bea elbows him slightly, not liking how he seems so satisfied by what he heard. "Stop it."

"Not only did you speak of me to your brother, but he also sort of likes me? I'd say that's a win, Bea."

"It definitely is a win. You know what isn't a win, though? If Aberama finds out."

Finn loses his smile, knowing that she's right and her father wouldn't be pleased.

"I know... But he'll know eventually."

Bea eyes Finn. When the bartender comes to take our order, Finn tells him to come back in a minute. 

"I'd say we tell Isaiah to keep it quiet and not mention anything in front of other people. Bonnie won't tell anyone anyway..."

"Bonnie and Isaiah can know, but no one else?"

"Not for now."

Finn rolls his eyes and sighs. "Fine. But we could just tell everyone. No one really cares..."

"Not yet. It's only been a little over a month since I came back from New York and—"

"And I've liked you since before," Finn interrupts her. "Just like you did."

"Let's just keep it to ourselves for now."

"All right," Finn agrees. "Are we uh... still going to Artillery Square after leaving?"

"No, I think I'll just go with Polly back home. Besides, Bonnie can know something but I don't think he'd be pleased knowing that we were going to spend the night at your empty apartment."

"Yeah, right... Another day." 

"Let's get out drinks and go back to the table."

Finn calls the bartender; they get what they want and join Isaiah and Bonnie.