"Gone?" Willow parrots back, her face scrunched in disbelief. "What do you mean gone?!"

"There was a disturbance at the northern border, it took all of our warriors to drive them off, but when I got back her stuff was gone," Connor bites out bitterly. "She left. There was security footage showing her leaving with her bags but she was alone."

"But why?" Willow whispers.

"I've asked myself that every day since she left." Connor ticks his jaw, clearly still hurt. "It didn't make sense, I thought she loved me... She was my whole world."

"Excuse me," Willow blurts out and gets up abruptly, beelining for the door.

"I'll talk to her," Kane replies apologetically to the men as they sit frozen, watching her run off.

"She'll come around," Hale says, trying to comfort his brother.

A heavy silence falls over the table once more, the only sounds are from bowls and spoons as people push their lunches around. The way that the three men pass casual side glances at each other makes me think they're linking.

"So," I breathe out, breaking the silence. "Willow's mom is from your pack too?"

Hale nods, regret written across his face.

"Her and Lyana were sisters... weren't they?" I whisper, already knowing the answer.

"They were," Ben confirms.

"So she's my cousin." My statement is more for myself than anything.

From the beginning, there has always been something about Willow that drew me to her. I wasn't sure if it was her innocence, her energy or what, but she was like a beacon to me.

There's an inner strength that people don't give her credit for and yet all I want to do is protect her too.

"It really does explain some things," Chris muses. "You two are so different yet two peas in a pod."

I smile to myself and nod, appreciating how perceptive Chris is. "And you're her father." My statement raises more than a few brows.

"We don't know for sure," Hale starts, patting his brother's arm. "Doc offered to do blood work-"

"By all means," I say with a shrug. "But I can feel it to be true."

A profound sadness takes over at the end of the table, leaving me shocked and confused.

"You don't want to be?!" I gasp, feeling my temper flare.

"Goddess above yes!" Connor clarifies, shocked at my outburst. "I mean I'm a shit father for not knowing all these years but I'd give anything for a chance to get to know her."

I tilt my head, watching the group and trying to make sense of what I'm feeling. His words ring true, he's desperate to get to know his long-lost daughter but still, there's so much sadness.

"He's thinking about Lya," Ben offers, a troubled look in his eyes. "How she struggled with emotions. The moment you said feel..."

"Oh," I mumble as I understand.

"Jess isn't going anywhere," Chris grumbles, hooking his arm around my waist. "She's strong, and has a lot of people around her helping."

I lay my head on his shoulder, trying to reassure him.

'Relax love, I'm right here,' I link, feeling him instantly soften.

'Sorry baby, I can't help but get worked up... There's been too many close calls already.' The rawness in his admission tugs at my heart.