161. see you later

Start from the beginning

She took Remus' jumper off and folded it neatly, and then she placed it on his dresser. She put some other clothes on, and then she was ready.

All that was left was to break the news.

Then, she dug some things back out again. A few books she had annotated, a few photos and a Nick Drake record she knew that Remus loved just as much as she did. She thought that he could keep those things.

And that got her t0 thinking about what else he was to keep.

She silently left the room, careful not to make a sound, and then she immediately found that small ball of joy curled up right outside their bedroom.

"Hi, Ri," Claudia whispered as the cat immediately woke due to her sudden appearance. She picked the tired little cat up in her arms, and then she sat down on the first step of stairs as she held her close to her chest for a little while.

"You were a dream come true, you know that?" Claudia whispered to the cat who was watching her with big adorable eyes. "I always wanted a cat. And I got one, just for a little while. But I'm leaving now, darling. You're gonna stay with your dad, okay?"

Claudia nodded assuringly towards the cat who couldn't understand a thing, and then her eyes filled with tears as she continued, "You be a very good girl now, okay? Take care of him. I know you can do that, River, because I know you can tell when someone's sad. So, whenever he's sad, just jump up in his lap and curl into a little ball like you always do. I know you'll cheer him up. You're too good not to."

They sat there for a little while, Claudia and the cat. And then, she heard sniffling sounds from downstairs, which told her that the time was nearing even more by now.

So, it was time to say goodbye to yet another one.

"I love you, River," she laughed emotionally, kissing her on the head. "Be a very good girl now. Make your mummy proud."

She sat the cat, who didn't understand a thing, down, and then she watched as River walked down the stairs and disappeared to somewhere Claudia wouldn't be able to find her.

The brunette girl sighed, and then she walked down as well. As she did so, the sniffles got more intense and she came to realise that someone in the kitchen was crying.

And that someone was Hope.

Claudia stopped as she finally caught sight of her. She looked a mess, and it was clear that she hadn't been sleeping all night either. Lyall was still snoring from the other room, and tissues were scattered all around the kitchen and living room.

As Hope met her eyes, she started crying even more.

"Oh, Hope," Claudia whispered as she practically ran towards her and wrapped her arms around her as she sat on that stool in the kitchen.

"There has to be something I can do," Hope cried, her voice raspy and desperate. "There has to be! Can't I talk to them? Wouldn't that-"

"Absolutely not," Claudia cut her off as she continued to hold onto her for a little while longer. "You're a Muggle, Hope. There's nothing you can do."

"But Lyall-"

"He can't do anything either," Claudia said as she grimaced in a way that she believed could maybe stop the tears from coming.