5. smart & pretty

"VERBA QUAERERE", Remus spoke to himself with his wand tapped against the cover of "Rebecca"

"VERBA QUAERERE", Remus spoke to himself with his wand tapped against the cover of "Rebecca". Nothing happened after that, which caused the boy to frown.

However, when he opened the book and flicked through the pages, new things had appeared; words. Remus started to look through several pages as he read sentences such as:

"That man is a chauvinistic pig, reminds me of my father."

"Feeling plagued by the lingering of the dead is a real life thing."

"I see why this was one of your favourites."

To say that Remus was confused would be an understatement. Had the girl really stolen a book just to annotate it; write down her thoughts and opinions? He had himself annotated plenty of his own books, and it was indeed fun to write down your opinions and analyse certain things, but he would never steal just to do that.

Claudia had however written it in a way that made it seem like it all was for somebody in specific.

Maybe that somebody could be me, he figured.

Everything that Claudia had written down were intelligent and opinionated thoughts, that Remus found an interest in. He simply couldn't reverse the spell and put the book down, even though he felt guilty about reading things that Claudia had written down for no one's eyes, except for maybe one single person that most certainly wasn't him.

Despite that, Remus started from page one.

•••

A few days later, on a random rainy Tuesday evening, Claudia finished reading and annotating "Dracula".

"I'm going to meet with Lily," she announced to her two best friends, who were currently in some sort of heated discussion about music. "In the library."

"Where are your brothers?" Betty asked out of habit.

"Quidditch practice," Claudia responded assuringly. "So I should be alright, see you later!"

"Hang on!" Inez yelled. "Before you go, who is better Elto-"

"Bowie! Later!"

Claudia arrived in the library only to find the redhead scrunched over a pile of books, writing something down on a piece of parchment. Claudia sat down next to the girl with a smile, Lily instantly beaming at the sight of her.

"Claudia!" She said brightly. Lily was another member of the group of three that called Claudia of her first name. "It's been forever since I've seen you!" She sighed.