140. jumpers & grapes

Start from the beginning

"Shut up," said Remus, and then he connected their lips again, only to catch her off guard as he suddenly stopped.

"What?" Claudia questioned as the boy got to his feet and left her there on the ground. "Is something wrong?"

"No," he smiled, and he truly proved that it wasn't as he offered his hand and helped her to her feet. "We need to head back. You need sleep."

"I'm fine-"

"You need sleep, my love," he repeated. "Classes start tomorrow, and you've been up pretty much all day. Besides, you must be fairly tired after-"

"You sound like a mum," Claudia sighed. "I don't wanna sleep. I want to stay here with you."

"And you sound like a child," the boy smirked, offering her his hand again after having picked the blanket and the food up from the ground. "Let's go. I'll follow you back, okay?"

Claudia surrendered, and then she took his hand and walked with him all the way inside the castle.

However, with the map in hand, Remus then, as they silently sneaked around the hallways, made the slightly scary discovery that Margaret was just around the corner.

And, well, Claudia was already one step ahead of him in knowing that due to the sound of the clicking of her grandmother's cane came from nearby; a sound that she recognised even better than her own voice at this point.

Remus opened his mouth to whisper the faithful news to her, but before he even could make a sound the girl had grabbed his hand and dragged him into that very broom closet the two had been in together more than what probably made sense at this point.

Claudia put her index finger against her lips in a way of telling him to be quiet as the clicking of the cane came closer and closer, only to stop right where they were.

The two stared at the door with their hearts beating faster and faster by the second, but then the clicking began again and suddenly they realised that she was gone.

"Well, seems we've managed to hide so far?" Remus whispered.

"Seems so," Claudia whispered back.

And they were both completely unaware that Margaret Maple already knew one or two things about them and their relationship.

•••

The next day, Claudia was displeased to note that her first class of the day was nothing less than Defence Against the Dark Arts.

The girl groaned to herself, and her friends all seemed fairly worried, but she shut their voices out and made her way to the lesson nonetheless with the intention of ignoring her grandmother and acting as if she was just another one of the long lineup of teachers they had had for that subject.

Finding the situation far less tolerable than normally, also considering how the Ravenclaws were sharing this class with the Slytherins this year instead of the Gryffindor, Claudia pretty much just spent her time doodling ridiculous flowers in her notebook as Margaret slowly and boringly went on and on about the importance of education.

And, well, Claudia's lack of interest did lead to the entire classroom of students staring at her as Margaret gave her a question she most certainly didn't hear.

"Claudia?" Margaret asked again, for the millionth time, and that was suddenly when Claudia's attention was caught again. "Would you care to listen?"

Claudia looked up from her notebook, and surprised both herself, Margaret and the other students as she frowned.

"Yes?" The girl questioned.

"Would you care to listen?"

Claudia nodded, "Sure. If what you're saying is worth listening to."

Margaret's lips formed a straight line, and then she simply directed her attention elsewhere.

"I am aware that you all are frightened due to what is said to be happening out in the world," said Margaret to the class. "But you have to remember that most of what you hear are stories, and not actual occurrences."

Claudia's frown only grew deeper at that, and for some reason unbeknownst to herself she raised her hand and cleared her throat, causing Severus Snape, who she was unluckily enough sitting next to, to roll his eyes.

"Yes, Claudia?"

"How do you know that what they say and what the Prophet reports about isn't true?"

"I beg your pardon?"

"I mean," Claudia shrugged. "If people out there are saying that people are dying because of Death Eaters, then that's the case, isn't it?"

Margaret shook her head, "You don't know how reliable your sources are, dear."

"And you're a reliable source?" Claudia pressed, causing Margaret to be unable to find the right words to say. "With all due respect, Professor, don't you think that we should be prepared for the worst? Because it is that bad out there, and I think you know it. And you've got to prepare us for it."

"Claudia, if you would-"

"Fa...Ingannamorte started to prepare us for it. Isn't teaching us more about how to defend ourselves the only right thing for you to do? I mean, Ingannamorte was right about everything she taught us. And she wasn't afraid to tell us the truth."

"Professor Ingannamorte was fairly irresponsible," said Margaret. "She wasn't in her right mind when she told you those things. Things that aren't even true. She merely scared you for nothing-"

"She was murdered by Death Eaters!" Claudia said harshly, speaking plenty louder by now. "She herself was killed, and you know it-"

"Silence!"

Claudia chuckled bitterly, "I'm just telling the truth. It's not like I'm a reliable source anyway, now am I?"

Margaret sighed, "You may stay after class Claudia-"

"Don't you think you should call me Ms. Maple now that I'm your student?"

"I'm also your grandmother-"

"Then act like one," Claudia said, and everyone in that room could in the future only recall that Claudia's look could've killed Margaret right there and then.

But, of course, looks can't really kill. So instead, Margaret sighed again, and then she smiled faintly.

"Stay after class, Ms. Maple."

__________________________________

a/n: if everything goes according to plan there's about 23 chapters left y'all...put y'all seatbelts on

also sorry for the minor lack of updates but expect some more this weekend because i have no life ;) no but i've actually been so busy recently but i have no plans for the weekend whatsoever and im so excited to write more again!