129. questions & transformations

Start from the beginning

Ingannamorte really was trying her hardest to stay professional and not have such a bond with Claudia, but it was hard considering that being professional wasn't exactly a talent of hers, nor was not forming a bond with the daughter of her old best friend, who she had missed so dearly for 18 years.

"Is something wrong?" Claudia asked, expecting the worst since Ingannamorte seemed so adamant on talking to her.

"No!" Ingannamorte exclaimed. "Nothing's wrong! I just wanted to see how you were doing and such, since I've been away for a few days now, is all!"

Claudia smiled, nodding at the mention of her being away for a few days, which no one knew the explanation to why.

"I'm fine, thank you," she said. "Are you? I mean, why were you gone? Were you sick?"

Ingannamorte shook her head, "I just had to go and visit some family."

This, technically, wasn't a lie.

"Oh, but everything's fine?"

"Yes," Ingannamorte smiled. "You don't have to worry about your old professor!"

Claudia laughed, "You're not old!"

"That's very sweet of you to say, but you must be lying," Ingannamorte chuckled. "I'm practically ancient!"

Claudia rolled her eyes at the woman who was merely 38, continuing to walk down the corridor to where they eventually ended up in front of Ingannamorte's office.

"Well, bye then!"

"Actually, I was wondering if we could have a word?" Ingannamorte asked before Claudia got the chance to leave, a very serious look on her face because she was about to press on a matter that she definitely didn't wish to press on.

But she had to, because she had an offer to make.

"Uh..."

"There's nothing to worry about, I assure you," Ingannamorte said with an assuring smile, leading the way inside her office and then serving Claudia some tea and biscuits like she always did whenever Claudia went to her, well, to put it frankly, free therapy sessions.

"What's this about?" The girl asked, receiving a tight and clearly nervous smile from the professor who was sitting in front of her.

"I don't really know how to put it," she chuckled, taking a sip from her tea. "It's just...I've got to thinking."

"Yeah? About what?"

"About you."

"About me?"

"Yes," Ingannamorte nodded. "About you."

"What about me?"

"You know, I really did mean it when I said that I would protect Anne's kids when I was young. And I want to keep that promise."

Claudia raised her eyebrows, giving her a questioning look. "What do you mean exactly?"

"Do you like your father, Claudia?"