51

"Two down, four more to go."

Bloody and bruised, Naruto panted but held his composure. The young man crossed his arms and turned to gaze at his friend. Maki was much better than him, breathing in through her nose to force her body into calm and keeping her mouth in a thin line. In her hand was a singular sword that had already taken down a single path while Naruto had taken it upon himself to fight the rest of them. Before they'd fought, Maki seemed to have a plan, although Naruto was sure Kurama had been the one to actually come up with it, but that was besides the point. Just as she'd informed him before, Maki had told Naruto to create as much dust around them as he could, and soon enough his previous struggle to defeat the six paths of pain grew easier.

It wasn't until they'd gotten to the fourth path that Maki's aura changed. It grew in power and yellow chakra shaped itself into that of an arm where her lost limb had once been, gripping another sword, one that was black with two white stripes in the middle of its blades, Galbxy. She refused to use three-sword style yet, it was honestly exhausting for her to use for long periods of time, and in a battle of endurance two sword style worked much better than third. Red, the black and ironically red sword worked together along with Galbxy until the final pain was left. It was a lot faster than she remembered in the anime, perhaps because Itachi and shisui had been taking care of the animal summoning's while the two best friends fought the rest of the pains.

The Uchiha cousins had now gone, preparing everyone for the possibility of the nine-tails unleashing, just as Maki had warned them might have possibly happened. They now led all citizens and residents of the leaf into the evacuation station as well as healed minor injuries the best they could with the minimal medical ninjutsu that they knew. Just as they'd helped the last batch of children, doing their best to shield the youth from witnessing the dead bodies around them -- the dead bodies of their loved ones, friends, neighbours -- a loud rumbling could be heard from where Maki and Naruto stood.

It was at that moment, Itachi and Shisui both knew the real fight would start.

Shisui wanted so bad to run back, his instinct as a brother almost overwhelming his role as a shinobi of the leaf, but the man knew he would just have to place trust in his sister, Shisui finally had to acknowledge that Maki was no longer the young, scared and naive child she used to be. Well-- perhaps she was still a little naive, but that's besides the point!

"Maki..." Shisui muttered, eyes focused on the area where his sister fought, "stay safe."

Meanwhile, Maki struggled to protect the wounded Naruto who only gritted his teeth and pleaded for her to abandon him even though he knew it was useless, Maki had never once left him by himself whether it be during a battle or not. At this point, the both of them would be killed and all because he couldn't get up! Naruto hated that, his training at mount myoboku was to strengthen him, if this was the end result of the training then it was all for naught.