Chapter 42: Carnivals Never Go Out Of Style (Part Two)

Start from the beginning

Jace smiled and elbowed me playfully with his free hand that wasn't on the wheel. "I like that. A girl who doesn't give up so easily."

I kept my focus on the road as the radio played. Jace was right, he could not sing to save his life. At least he was honest. Boredom took over and I started reading the signs of huge trucks and company cars on the road. That was normal, right? It went on for a while until Jace perked up.

"I have an idea."

I rolled my eyes at his determination. "And that would be?"

"What's one thing you're missing to complete your masterpiece for the competition?"

I thought deep and hard. "Faith and inspiration."

Jace nodded, "That and you need to loosen up a bit. Have a bit more fun."

I eyed him, getting more concerned of his mental state bit by bit. "What are you suggesting?"

He only responded with a smirk.

The neighborhood that we had just entered was quaint and homely. There were small houses with small gardens, preschools, churches and cute little shops.

There was a yellow house that stood out from the rest though. It was larger than the others and had a noticeable pool in the back yard. Beside it was a peach colored house, a nice garden with white fences that I assumed was Jace's or at least that's the driveway we were pulling into right now.

"Is this where you live?" I asked as the car came to a stop.

"Yup." He answered popping the 'p'. He turned off the engine and escaped the car, opening the passenger door for me.

"Thanks."

He nodded, walking in the direction of the front door. "Just a tip, if my mother asks you if you want to sample one of her fish cakes - say no -. "

Mother? Jace never said anything about me meeting his mother. Heck, he didn't say anything about us coming here at all. Without argument I entered the open house door.

The living room of the house from what I could tell was beautiful. Comfy looking couches, fancy silk curtains, a small coffee table sat in the center of it all. Floral white was the main decor theme. There were family portraits that stood on the tables with flower vases and the room smelt like roses.

"It's really nice." I complimented. A second later something furry swiftly flew past my feet, causing me to lose my balance. Expecting to land on my backside I found myself up on my feet again.

"You've literally got to stop falling for me." Jace said, letting go off my waist.

Ignoring his words I asked, "What was that?"

And just like the mysterious thing heard me it showed itself. Below me was a sun colored fur and amber eyed retriever, wagging it's tail uncontrollably, looking up at me with a skinny toy soldier in it's mouth. The slobbering puppy brushed against my leg.

I lowered myself to it's level, running my hand through it's soft fur. "And whose this little guy?"

"She." Jace corrected, lowering himself to the puppy's level as well. "This little guy is a girl."

"Oops." I said as the animal beckoned me to take the toy out of it's mouth.

"Damsel usually doesn't give up things that she puts in her mouth so easily. So that probably means she likes you." Jace explained out as I took the dribble infested action figure from the puppy's mouth.

Damsel, I thought. It was such a pretty name.

The saliva drained off of it and I smiled an edgy one because of the saliva that drained onto my wrist. Damsel went off as soon the toy was left in my hand. Jace and I stood up. Before any of us got the chance to say anything a woman had already burst through the doors of a room that I assumed was the kitchen singing a cheerful ol tune.