Chapter 40: Nights Like This

Start from the beginning

I stride over to the couch and slump beside her, taking the mug from her grasp and bringing it close to my lips, inhaling the best smell on Earth. "Of course Carter was there, mum. He's at all school parties. He's practically -"

The cup in my hands stop ascending to my lips and like momentarily before my mouth falls open.

He's practically in Byron's back trunk right now! My mind finished the sentence.

Reflexively my arms shoot out the mug towards mom to take. Confusions shines in her eyes as she slowly takes the glass cup from me. I immediately race to the door and open it as if Byron's car is going to magically reappear, but it doesn't.

My heart is beating at an incredible speed and I notice the zipper of my dress is gone thanks to how fast I just ran.

There's nothing I can do at this moment.

That thought sinks in my brain and I close the door slowly behind, sliding down the back of it miserably and sit on the hard tile floor.

"Cerise, what's wrong?" Mum rests the cup down on a nearby table and instantly she's kneeling down on the side of me.

I can't tell her that Carter's in the back trunk of Byron's car, that's for sure. I rack my brain for answers, a lie or two and finally come up with something.

"I - um- I left my sweater back in Kelly's car." The lie flew out of my mouth.

Mom knelt there in disbelief for a second before a laugh escaped. "That's all? I thought it was something serious." She smiled, "Honey, I know how much you love those sweaters, but it's just a sweater." She emphasized, "Kelly won't eat it."

I let out nervous laugh to play along with her, "Haha, I guess you're right."

Just a sweater.

*

Sunday I got no sleep at all. I couldn't get my mind off of Carter. Sleep deprived and grumpy I practically had no patience for anyone. I hadn't heard from Byron nor Carter since last night and it definitely had me on edge. Monday came fast and hopefully today I'd be able to share my side of the story with Carter, that's if he wasn't angry.

Would Byron be mad at me? No, he'd be pissed.

Would he and Carter try and kill each other? No, they'd kill each other.

Would I stop answering my own questions like a crazy person and eat breakfast already? Because everyone was staring...

"Cerise, aren't you going to eat?" Mom asked, her hair that had been in a messy bun last night was now cut and stopped at her shoulders. Why'd she cut it? Well it didn't look bad.

"Yeah, you've been staring at that omelette like you were about to beat it to a pulp because it owed you money." Gabby added, stuffing her face with pancakes.

Aubrey didn't put a word in. She was on her cell phone and her plate didn't look touched either - so why was I the one being judged?

I scratched my throat, "I guess I'm just not that hungry." I picked up the glass of orange juice and brought it to my lips, taking a few sips.

"Our first breakfast back together as a family and you're not that hungry?" Mom asked, mimicking the last part in a voice that she thinks sounds just like me but it doesn't at all. In fact it's way far from me.

I shrugged, "Just don't have an appetite right now."

"Is it because of the sweater? Honey, it's just a sweater. Let it go." She pleads.