Chapter 40: Nights Like This

Start from the beginning

"I knew it." He said calmly with a triumphant look on his face.

"Knew what?" I ask curiously knowing exactly what he knows.

"You wanted me to, didn't you?" He rose an eyebrow, leaning closer skeptically with a smirk.

I tuck a lock of my damp hair behind my ear, that part had managed to get wet because of the water that seeped through the sweater. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"That's what you were thinking."

"I don't know what you think I was thinking, but I think you're crazy!"

My grammar is definitely not on a roll tonight

"Cerise, just admit it." He says smugly.

"Admit what?" I arch an eyebrow at him and knit my arms over the other not letting him intimidate me.

"That you wanted me to do this ."

Frozen in his grasp I tried to swiftly connect the wires of my brain. It didn't take Albert Einstein to know that Byron Archer was kissing me right now and I wasn't doing a thing about it. I felt his wet arms wrap around me and for a moment I actually let my shoulders drop from their almighty form. My body surrendered from picking a fight - maybe this was what I wanted - just maybe - .

When he pulled back he had a contagious smile on his face which made my cheeks flush redder than before.

"Night Cerise."

I watched as he got out into the pelting rain again and retreated inside his car leaving me speechless and immobile. My mouth hung agape as the car exit my driveway.

What just happened?

My fingers brushed my lips that were once connected to Byron's soft ones just seconds ago. Barely blinking I slowly turned to the door, fumbling with the keys of my house. No less than a minute I got the door open and entered inside, letting a warm breeze hit my face. The aroma of sweet delicious hot chocolate attacked my nose instantly.

Snuggled in a warm burgundy robe with a mug of hot chocolate in her hand sat my mother in front of the television.

"How was the party?" She asked, not daring to take her eyes off of the television screen. The movie was pretty intense. Some actor in a black cloak was making his or her way up creamy colored stairs with a huge kitchen knife in their hand.

I stood there flabbergasted from the earlier event. A few seconds passed in the silent room before mom looked up from the movie after the killer had already murdered the victim .

"Is everything alright?" She asked, her eyebrows knitted together in deep concern.

I nodded slowly. "Uh, yeah. Everything is great."

"Well don't just stand there like the Statue Of Lib, tell me the deets."

And it just took that one sentence to snap me out of my trance. She just switched to 'Cool Mama Mode' . Something that I did not want to endure for the rest of the night.

"You know, it was just like any normal party. Fireworks, dancing. Completely boring." I waved nonchalantly.

"You didn't drink, right? Or smoke?"

"No, mother. Do I look drunk?" I asked as watch as she surveys me for a few seconds before nodding in satisfaction.

"Was Carter there? Did you two talk? How are you coming along? I know it's -" Here she goes bombarding me with questions. "Here's some hot chocolate. Tell me everything."