New Romantics

the best people in life are free

BROOKLYN'S POV

"So this is probably my favorite spot here." I look back to Harry who's a little behind me as we finally hit the sand on the small beach, the waves crashing out ahead of us softly.

I immediately bend down to unlace my sneakers and look back to see Harry doing the same, only he's hopping on one foot trying to pull his shoe off in one go.

"I come here almost everyday." I chuckle as he catches up to me.

"It seems peaceful." He says, and I immediately nod.

"Usually there's no one here, occasionally I'll stumble upon a few people but it's never crowded."

I walk further down onto the sand with Harry next to me, and I suddenly realize that there is literally nothing else to do besides stare at the water or sit in the sand. This is what he gets for springing this on me spontaneously, it's the best I can do. But hey, he said he wanted boring.

"What do you usually do here?" He asks softly, and I look back to see him already choosing to sit down in the sand. I approach him and sit down next to him, leaving a few feet of space between us.

"Usually read. Or I have this journal that I like to write in. Or I'll come with my friends and we'll just hang out...doesn't it all sound riveting?" I chuckle sarcastically.

"Sounds lovely, actually." He says seriously. "Who are your friends?"

"All three of them? Devin is my best friend from high school who would absolutely murder me if she knew I was with you right now. Reagan and Hadley I've also known since high school, but we became a lot closer after we graduated because we all lived here and kind of, just, gravitated towards each other."

It is in this moment that my mind catches up with me as much as it can, and I become conscious of the fact that I'm talking to this guy– who happens to be known to the world as a rockstar– about my sad little life. But to me, he's just Harry– a random guy I met at work– so my mind is going back and forth between the two, trying to decipher them.

"What's that look for?" Harry says suddenly, and I realize I probably had some sort of confused look on my face that matched my thoughts.

"Nothing, sorry. I just have no idea what's happening. I feel like I'm on a TV show." I say as I take my bag and push it into the sand, turning around and laying my head on it so I'm looking up at the clear sky.

"What does that mean?" Harry chuckles from beside me.

"I just...I know of you, but I have no idea who you are."

"And that's music to my ears."

"Harry Styles, who are you, really?"

"Maybe I'll let you figure that out for yourself."

"Well then so far, you're just weird."

He scoffs and laughs, grabbing a handful of sand and chucking it at me so it hits my stomach.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"You ordered coffee at nine pm, didn't return your name, and came in the next morning and asked someone you didn't know existed twenty four hours ago to basically spend the summer with you. You're either planning my murder or truly have nothing better to do."