Chapter 9 - Road Trip

(In memory of my Grandfather, who passed away not too long before this chapter. He will be missed...Forever.)

   Chell began to put on a nice dark leather jacket, getting ready for her road trip with Jessie. Jessie sat with a bottle of orange cola as she waited for Chell. When she came to the main area with a casual get-up with jeans, her jacket, and a violet shirt.
   "You ready Jessie," Chell asked as she held her shoulder.
   "I-I guess..." Jessie answered nervously.
   "Nervous about the whole thing," Chell added.
   "Just...This city's always been my home," Jessie explained. "And to leave it, I..."
   "Trust me," Chell smiled. "I know how you feel about not fitting in. Hop in the car and I'll explain."
   Jessie hopped out of her seat and followed Chell into her car; she saw it was a shiny metallic black van. Chell nudged Jessie to go into the passenger seat, as she followed behind her. In the car, Jessie saw it was pretty clean, despite a few smudges on some metallic silver paint on the main console.
   "Pretty cool huh," Chell asked as she climbed into the driver's seat.
   "Yeah," Jessie said in amazement. "Don't think I'll ever have another one of these again."
   "Buckle up kiddo," Chell said as she did the same. "It's gonna be a long drive."
   Jessie put the seat belt around her before Jessie turned the car engine on. Putting her phone into a charging spot in the console, Chell started to put the address of the foster care facility and began to drive out of the parking lot. Alex managed to catch Chell before she left the Center grounds and she stopped to have a little chat.
   "Hey girls," Alex smiled.
   "Hey Alex," Chell replied.
   "Hi," Jessie said.
   "You two heading out," Alex asked.
   "Just luck to catch us," Chell said. "Remember, you're in charge of the others while I'm gone."
   "I got it," Alex said nervously. "Just don't be gone too long."
   Chell chuckled as Alex left and drove off into the city. Alex went into the Center to wait for the other Rangers.

o

   Richard and Rachel came into the center while Alex was practicing his strikes on a punching bag. Rachel noticed Alex's rate of punching; fast, hard, and precise. Richard nodded and nudged Rachel to go towards Alex. With a sigh of defeat, Rachel did so, but her heartfelt heavy with each step. As she approached Alex, Rachel noticed Alex's concentration with his training.
   "Uhm, Alex," Rachel hesitated.
   Alex heard Rachel and finished with a strong left before looking to her.
   "What's going on Ray," Alex asked panting.
   "Richard and I just got here and...We were hoping that you could... help all of us," Rachel answered.
   Alex nodded, remembering Chell's instructions about him being in charge while Chell was gone.

o

   Chell and Jessie managed to enter the downtown area of the city but went through a lot of traffic. Jessie bobbed her head to the beat of the music of the radio station. Chell looked to Jessie and smiled a little, thinking back to her early childhood.
   "You like this song," Chell asked.
   "Yep," answered Jessie. "It makes me feel happy and wanna dance."
   "Yeah, sorry about the traffic Jess," Chell apologized. "The monster attacks kinda put a damper on things."
   "The Rangers will stop them," Jessie boasted. "No matter how bad things go, they'll send them packing!"
   Chell chuckled at Jessie's words, knowing that she was fully correct. After all, Chell is their teacher, and she has been trying her best to teach the Rangers.
   "They're good," Chell said back to Jessie. "But you wanna know why I think they're good?"
   "Why," Jessie asked.
   "It's their teamwork," Chell began. "See, they can handle the ones that looked the same, but when the special ones come out, then they all have to focus on that one."
   "Well, why do they have to do that," Jessie asked.
   "Oh, well, the special Oni is a lot stronger than the copies," Chell said as she began driving again. "Those guys could overpower even the Yellow Ranger, who's one of the stronger members. I like to think about the metaphor, The whole is greater than the sum of its parts."
   "What does that mean," Jessie asked.
   "Personally, I see it as, while you can do great by yourself, you'll do better if you're a part of something," Chell answered as she left the city.