Chapter Sixteen

Rex walked back slowly towards his house. A smile playing in his lips. He couldn't think of anything but the kiss that he had shared with Ember. Her lips were so soft and her mouth was so delicious, more than he had ever imagined them to be. He hadn't been able to stop himself from kissing her. The last few days had been a torture for him as well as to those around him. The whole of Fordsville knew by now that Rex Wilson had lost his mind over some woman and was drinking himself crazy. It was true so why would he try to hide it. He was famous and what he did or didn't do, always made headlines amongst the gossip circles. He was used to it. 

He got Ember's permission to see her again and he would pursue her with a vengeance. Satisfied with his decision he went back to the main building. All the guests had left and the whole family was excited to hear the news that Sawyer had been traced. 

Sawyer was their adopted brother who had left home three years ago after he realized, on Renée's eighteenth birthday that he had fallen in love with her. He wanted to show himself worthy of her by doing something on his own. Everyone tried to stop him but he had just disappeared. They tried to look for him everywhere but without any success. Rex's uncle Kevin and aunt Katherine had adopted him as their own son, were devastated. Aunt Katherine cried for months and still did since she had brought him up since he was a new born baby. Rex's granddad Joe Wilson had rescued him from the banks on Bearhead River nearby where he was abandoned. 

"We've found Sawyer. He's in Mexico. He isn't well. Dad, Keith and I are going tomorrow morning to bring him home," said uncle Kevin. A sob escaped aunt Katherine while Renée ran to her room. Closing the door, she sank down to the floor as uncontrollable sobs escaped her mouth. 

The next day they brought Sawyer home. It was already late and a doctor was summoned. It seemed Sawyer had pneumonia from overworking himself under  harsh weather conditions. They admitted him to Fordsville Public hospital in the middle of the night. Rhett and uncle Kevin stayed back with him at the hospital.

Ember walked into the nursing station and Adelaide told her about Rex's brother, Sawyer who was admitted at their hospital. They rushed to see him before reporting to their duties. Rhett and uncle Kevin were just going home when they reached Sawyer's room. Rhett updated them about Sawyer's condition and the treatment that he was undergoing. Suddenly the door opened and Rex and his dad arrived to relieve the others. Rex's eyes immediately fell upon Ember's and time stood still for both of them as they relived the kiss that they had shared last night. 

The doctor-in-charge of Sawyer, Dr. Dan Craig was a young, promising pulmonologist at their hospital. His handsome good-looks made him one of the hottest doctors whom all the nurses of the hospital pursued except for Adelaide and Ember, of course. "What are you two doing here, nurse McCarthy, nurse Fischer?" He asked curiously. Rhett and uncle Kevin had already left to go home. Rex immediately turned to see a hot doctor staring at his Ember and his blood started boiling. 

"We've come to visit our family, doctor, " said Adelaide. He smiled at her while his eyes were glued to the hot nurse, Ember Fischer who he had been crushing on ever since he had joined this hospital. 

"Nurse Fischer, wait for me after duty. I wanted to discuss a case with you, " he said to her. Ember nodded. 

"Yes sir," she said quietly. Rex strode towards her and stood behind her glaring at the young doctor. Why doesn't he see his patient instead of flirting with his girl? His dad seemed to sense Rex's fighting stance. He started discussing Sawyer's treatment and the doctor started checking Sawyer  for progess. Adelaide too went towards Sawyer's bedside to check. Rex whisked Ember outside while others were busy with the doctor.

"What's going on, Ember? Are you having an affair with that doctor?" He asked in a pissed off tone. Ember's jaws dropped as she stared at Rex's furious face  his grip on her wrist tightening every second. 

"Are you crazy?" She asked him instead. 

"Yes, I'm crazy about you. Answer me Ember, " he gritted out. 

"I don't have affairs Rex. I'm off relationships for forever. Don't you know that by now?" She sighed. He had lived in Fordsville all his life, so surely he had heard about her life history. Rex caught her in a death grip. 

"You are mine, Ember. You won't meet him after your duty. Is that understood?" He asked, his eyes flashing with jealousy. 

"Rex, you're hurting me. He called me for work. Aren't you over-reacting?" She pointed out. Rex stared at her as if surprised that she had no idea that the doctor was clearly flirting with her. 

"Are you blind? Why else would a pulmonologist call a pediatric nurse to his chamber?" He asked pointedly but released his hold, thankfully. Ember gaped at him.

"Maybe to discuss a child's case?" She answered. 

"Why you? Wouldn't he do that with a pediatrician?" Asked Rex. Ember looked at her feet and fidgeted with her bracelet. 

"Why are you questioning me? I have no idea why he summoned me. I'm just a nurse. I don't have a choice than go and find out. I'm not interested in anyone, Rex. You have nothing to get so worked up for. Go to Sawyer. He needs you. I have to report to my department. I'll come down at lunchtime, " she said. Rex didn't say a word as he just stared  at her. Why did she keep harping on the same sentence that she wasn't interested in anyone? Wasn't she interested in him too? 

Ember walked away to her department and was busy the whole morning. Rex was at Sawyer's side constantly while his dad left after an hour. Sawyer was responding to treatment. Although he slept most of the time, he spoke to Rex during the short span of time that he was awake. Rex found out the harsh conditions that he was working under.

"Why did you need to leave home bro? You don't know how crazy everyone had gone after you left. You shouldn't have disappeared on your own family. Aunt Katherine cried for you everyday," he told Sawyer who clasped his hand. 

"Yes, I'm sorry. It was a wrong decision on my part," said Sawyer, slowly as he struggled with his breathing. 

"Didn't you once miss us?" He asked him.

"Yes, every second of my life, " said Sawyer. 

"Then why didn't you come back home?" Asked Rex. 

"I didn't have the money. A co-worker robbed me off my earnings and fled. I was ashamed to ask dad," he admitted.

"You have every right to ask, Saw. Uncle Kevin would have been so happy if you asked and returned home," said Rex. 

"I realized that now," sighed Sawyer. 

"Renée was devastated when you left," said Rex softly. Sawyer cried hearing that like a broken man till the nurse-in-charge had to inject sedatives to put him to sleep. Rex steered clear of the sensitive topic of Renée since it was obvious that Sawyer still loved her too much. Sawyer was asleep and Rex waited for Ember, impatiently. It was lunchtime and yet she hadn't turned up. Did she forget her promise? Unable to wait and just watch,  he went up to the pediatric department to hunt for her. After waiting for her, he asked a nurse to call, Ember but she shook her head.

"Ember's gone to Dr. Craig's chamber five minutes ago," she told him, leaving him more furious than he was in the morning. He asked her for directions to Dr Craig's chamber and after thanking her, strode purposefully towards it. 

He stood outside the doctor's chamber about to open and go inside when he heard Ember's voice. "No sir. I'm not capable enough to give you advice on Finn's report. I think you should talk to his pediatrician," she told him in a professional tone. 

"Fine, I'll do that. So are you free tonight? I have two passes to the latest production at Bigfork Theater. Would you like to watch it with me?" Asked the young doctor. Rex wanted to break the door and punch his face but stopped when he heard Ember's answer.

"I'm sorry Dr. Craig, my boyfriend and I have other plans for tonight," said Ember. The young doctor's face fell at her answer. 

"You have a boyfriend?" He stammered out.

"Yes, you saw him at Sawyer Wilson's room today in the morning," she lied.

The doctor's face paled. "Rex Wilson?" He asked in shock.

"Yep, the one and only. I'll be on my way, sir, if that's all," she said, opening the door to find Rex standing outside with a shit-eating grin on his face.