She quickly got up and locked her bedroom door. The 24-year-old ran to the bed and grabbed a pillow. She rushed into the bathroom and locked that as well.

✰ ✰ ✰ ✰ ✰

Sofia assumed she had dozed off again. A loud shout broke her slumber. She slowly stood up from the bathroom wall and gently opened the door. Her room was pitch black so she gently used the wall to help her find the bedroom door.

As soon as she exited the room, she was filled with instant regret. The entire loft was covered in colorful black lights and teenagers running to the exit. She looked around in confusion. How had she missed a literal party happening outside her door?

The more she looked around, the more she noticed. As the room started to clear, Sofia noticed a couple people dressed in all black with weird masks on. She saw Derek standing in the middle of the room and a couple teenagers off to the side.

Sofia stepped further into the room at the same time three more teenagers came hurdling in the room carrying a boy.

What the fuck was happening.

After all the glowing teenagers had scrambled away, except for the few she saw come in, the men in the dark clothing turned towards the boy standing alone. He was covered in green paint and looked concerned.

"Guys, they're all looking at me," he called out.

The dark figures took a step closer. "Why are they all looking at me?"

The cloaked things continued to move even closer with each word said. Suddenly, Derek and another teenage boy lunged for the beings.

Sofia was too stunned to move. She watched in horror as the two men entered a battle with the dark figures.

Derek snapped one of their necks only for it to twist back in place. The creature threw Derek back and he landed on his stomach.

Sofia rushed to his side and crouched down, "Dude, are you okay?"

Derek slowly pushed himself up and glared at the woman. They both turned and watched the other teenager fall prey to the figures as well.

Once again, they all turned to the boy in green paint. Suddenly, a boy with dark blonde hair and a blue shirt marched up to them.

Sofia was too busy helping Derek sit up to watch what happened next. When she finally turned back to the situation, the creatures seemed to be swept away by the sun.

Derek hobbled over to the fallen boy while Sofia stayed rooted to the ground in silence.

"What the hell were those things?" The dark-haired teen asked.

"Your dad's 24 hours are up," the blonde-haired one said.

The group fell into silence again. Sofia wasn't sure the last couple minutes had really happened.

"Well," she started causing all the teens to turn to the stranger in confusion, "happy halloween."

✰ ✰ ✰ ✰ ✰