Chapter-12: My wife, Zawjati.

Start from the beginning

Stupid impatience.

I intake an anticipated breathe and open the door. Smiling widely only for it to falter when I see Yusuf, Aisha's husband. Seriously! Who has even invited him here?

"Salaam" Aisha says coming from beside me and hugging him.

"Oh, did I forget to mention that he is joining us too?" she asks smirking.

I am sure she is well aware of my impatience.

Ughh why is everyone arriving except for my wife?

Yusuf comes in saying salaam and goes to sit with the other men in the room. I lock the door and turn to go towards the room and just then I hear a car drive through our driveway.

Oh Allah please let this be her.

I wait for few moments and then unlock the door to see a struggling Maira whose abaya seems to have gotten stuck in the car. She finally frees herself from the trouble and lean in the car to take two small boxes of Allah knows what. I instinctively take a step forward to help her out but her brother comes to her side and insists on taking those boxes from her. She shakes her head and gives him only one of those boxes. She glares at him hard when he tries to take the other box too. I smile at her kind gestures. My woman. My wife.

They come towards the door and instantly notice my presence there. Maira- my wife looks down shyly while Usman smiles at me and bumps his shoulder with hers causing her to glare at him again.

"Assalamualaikum" I say once they are exactly in front of me.

"Walaikumasslam" They say together and Usman comes forward to hug me awkwardly with the box in one of his hand.

Do I get to hug my wife too? Of course I should get.

Usman notices our hesitance and leaves the two of us taking the box from Maira's hands.

I clear my throat and smile at her once she looks at me.

Those eyes.

"How have you been?" I ask, inching towards her to hold her hand.

"Alhamdulillah, how about you?"

"Alhamdulillah, except for the part where I had been impatiently waiting for my wife to arrive." I say finally holding her soft hands. She chuckles softly and looks down.

"Usman had some errands to run that is the reason we were a bit late"

I nod "Mama told me about it" she looks at me suddenly at the mention of her mama, her eyes showing a sense of appreciation and admiration.

Oh the things I would to see that look.

"I am glad to hear you call her that" she says her eyes truly showing the smile on her face which I am unable to see.

"I would be glad if I---"

"Oh Maira, when did you arrive?" Aisha comes in cutting me.

"Just a little while back" Maira replies trying to take my hand off hers.

I am not letting her go. Not today. She is my wife for Allah's sake man.

"Okay come on in. I'll show you around" Aisha grabs her other hand.

"I'll do it" I speak before she could take away my wife.

"Oh come on Adam, don't be so clingy" she says removing my hand from hers and laughing at my scowling face.

They walk away and Maira looks back at me before turning in the dining room and I am very sure that she is smiling under her niqab.

My wife.