16 ❤️

Lan Wangji was in pain. Maybe because of the strain in his bones and core from excessively using his spiritual energy to fight off those walking corpses.

  Scabs were starting to form on his cuts from how long he was walking. It felt tiring to just keep his eyelids open. His hands and legs trembled violently as he tried to sheathe Bichen whilst trying to do the same for Wangji.

   He shakily inhaled. His face knitted into a tight expression as he refused to let out a groan of pain while he tried his best to gently lay down Wei Ying in a spot where he considered safe. 

  "Lan Zhan, are you...okay?" The latter asked peacefully whilst his beautiful eyes now with no spark stared in the wrong direction. 

   No. Wangji was not okay. His eyes watered and for the first time in his life, he wanted to lash out, scream and cry, all in hysterics.  Be noisy.

No, the strain and the pain, the sharp sting couldn't even compare to how broken he felt when he experienced--

   This. This was surely the cause of his pain. Wei Ying was distorted because of him.  He forever lost his vision because of him.

  His heart stung and burned harder than the trees that they set fire on.

  As he breathed heavily, not knowing how to give a response; He struggled to make a sentence that might tell sorry for him, kowtow in gratitude and that begs and cries for forgiveness. 

   But, surely he couldn't even make a single sound, a heavy lump of guilt was stuck in his throat.

  "I...amokay, Wei Ying" He croaked out, not realizing that he blurred his words together.

  Wei Wuxian read his emotions as his features morphed into a sudden, sincere sympathy.

  "That is...You know, Lan Zhan? If it weren't for you there...The silence and darkness of it would surely leave me wondering if I was dead or alive..." Wei Wuxian chuckled as if it was funny.

   He was doing this on purpose, he somehow knew of Lan Wangji's guilt and took no mercy in increasing it tenfold. 

   However, Lan Wangji accepted his punishment with his head hanging low, tears blurring his eyes.

  Ah, how much he wished that that sudden blurriness would leave him blind, crippled. Like Wei Ying.

A "Hm." was forced out, trying to give the man a reply. 

"Ah, Lan Zhan, where are we?" Wei Wuxian inquired softly. His eyes were downcast, clinquant raindrops puddled in his long eyelashes. They glittered sublimely. He didn't deserve this sight of Wei Ying.

"Wei Ying...We are at Qinghe borders right now, no one in--"  Lan Wangji took another shaky breath knowing that he couldn't speak properly with the growing buzz in his ears. Searing pain in his heart disrupts his speech, he restrains himself from clawing at his throat.

"--Sight. T..the dawn is here...and--" He tried to speak normally but it stung to even say the word that Wei Ying would never be able to experience again.

"Is it pretty?" Wei Wuxian asked again, his voice gentle. He wore a small, lovely smile on his face.

All the air that might have been remaining in his throat was knocked out.

"Yes," Lan Wangji sobbed out.

"It's very beautiful." 'Just like you,'  He wanted to say.