13❤️

The morning was bright and dewy in the immortal realm. Servants got up quietly and started to bustle in their work. New guards switched posts and the worn-out guards finally got rest but their faces were too stoic to show weariness or relief.

Sunlight barely got through the small crevices left between the closed crimson cervelat curtains. The room was dimly lit but even in this bad lighting, it was something to marvel at.

Jade mostly made up the roof and pillars of the room. The floor looked like it was carved out of a particularly large black opal and the furniture was decorated with expensive cushions, so soft that one could assume it was made for a frail young mistress.

Two figures sat next to each other. The petite and shorter figure on the majestic bed and the virile and taller one sitting on a fine chair made of black jade.

'Was he truly worth it? Worth the bruises on your delicate wrist A-Ying?', Xiao Xingchen thought as he smeared the gelatinous ointment on the blue and purple bruises that stood out too much on his nephew's porcelain wrist.

"Is he worth the trouble?" Xiao Xingchen asked, his voice a bit strangled and his eyes too desperate for Wei Wuxian's liking.

"Stop staring..." Wei Wuxian muttered quietly as he glanced anywhere around the room but his beloved uncle.

"Sorry, I can't help but worry seeing that you got injured," Xiao Xingchen replied mellowly.

"Trust me, when I say that he will be a quite valuable piece," Wei Wuxian insisted. His eyes glistening with inbred ambition.

Feelings that were too complicated to decipher for Xiao Xingchen, all started to tangle and get mangled in the pit of his stomach.

"A-Ying, I get that you want to grasp as much power as you can so that life won't be hard to you when you become empress but..."Xiao Xingchen trailed off, his voice guilty. His heart stuck in his throat.

"..Why would you push yourself so hard? Please tell me, A-ying my dear nephew," Xiao Xingchen forced out. He probably sounded like he could barely say those words to his nephew. And, it was right, he couldn't, guilt ate away any remaining words back into his throat. His soul felt warmer but not the nice kind of warm.

The unsettling warmness turned into a burning sensation when he looked at the eyes of his nephew, freezingly cold and represented the pieces of the moon itself.

Xiao Xingchen couldn't. To face the listless eyes that he should have cupped with his own hands to block the child from seeing the sins of the world but didn't, he just couldn't.

His head hung low as if the ring of a metaphorical noose bound tightly around his neck and hoisted his rosemary roots from the clayey soil as the ends of the rope weaved from wolfsbane were pushed down by guilt; his eyes instead gazed without value nor meaning down at the oriental carpet. He, a sect heir was acting like a disgrace to the sect right at this moment. Pathetic, was he to expose his nephew to him breaking the sacred rules of the sect.

"I wasn't born with my freedom in this lifetime..." Wei Wuxian replied monotonously.

Xiao Xingchen felt a scorching heartburn hearing that.

"So, I will rise in power to a position in which my own freedom shall be granted to me, by me and no one shall object." Wei Wuxian finished with a determined expression.

...silence, as if the tension in the toom had instantly been released.

Small sniffles echoed throughout the lavish but slightly empty room. Wei Wuxian stared down, perplexed to the bowing head of his uncle to see sparkly drops of tears fall onto his uncle's lap and taint his uncle's expensive pale robes.