"I do not want my pregnant mate having to kill people!" I snap, irritated by his nonchalant attitude. "Do I seriously need to spell it out?! Fucking twins no less! Doc said-"

"High risk, low stress, I know," he cuts in. "I understand, but you and I both know she's a magnet for trouble. That being said, she's got more protection than she's ever had before."

Guardians are glued to her twenty-four-seven now, all of us really. We each had our champion chosen before our coronation but knowing there's a real threat now just ups the ante.

Tony has admitted this is just the start, that there's a bigger plan at work. He may not know what, but he knows the end result is no more royal family.

"What's this?" I ask, flipping the page over to see a weird list. There are no names, just general descriptions of people.

"Informants," Derek growls. "Guards, omegas, warriors, and even someone holding an office, if you can believe it."

"What's not to believe?" I ask, laying the paper down and pointing to the list. "Guards? Like the ones slaughtered in the cell... Omegas? Take your pick, they weren't treated particularly well, I'm sure there are plenty that could be swayed."

Derek scoffs and rolls his eyes. "How the fuck does a pack get this rotten and no one notices?"

"They noticed," I huff. "It shrank by at least half... next to no one transferred in."

"Like rats fleeing a sinking ship," Derek grumbles.

We've spent a lot of time looking into the royal pack members. Xavier, more specifically, has spent countless hours combing through every scrap of data possible. The questionable things he's dug up has led to some hasty departures but we know there are far more that are better at hiding yet.

"So the hunters are working with the dark Witches, or witch I suppose," I mumble, thinking about the one we've already eliminated. "What about the Shadowman?"

Derek purses his lips and tilts his head as he considers my question. "That's harder to tell."

"So what? We sit around and wait for shit to happen?!" My head hurts from my no doubt skyrocketing blood pressure.

We have so many fires smouldering and no water in sight.

"I don't know that we have a choice on waiting," Derek starts. "But nothing says we need to sit idly by."

Derek has a glint in his eye, the same one he'd get before hatching scenes with me as a kid that either brought glory or ruin. I find myself leaning in like I did all those years ago, eager for the plan.

"Jess is certain the Shadowman is after Mira," he starts, eyes ablaze with determination.

"But why? I mean I know she's a powerful witch and all, but surely being part wolf, lessens her threat level?" I reason. My lack of understanding when it comes to the different classes and strengths of witches is embarrassing.

Derek shakes his head, looking lost in thought. "I don't think so... Garrick is convinced that if she truly embraced it and worked on her gift, she could easily challenge for a coven council chair... even contend for head."

I bark out a sarcastic laugh. "Yeah cause that's what she wants... Most days I'm pretty sure she doesn't even want to be here, let alone in witch bureaucracy."

"We're talking about capabilities, not desires," Derek chides. "Think about it brother, she's Marissa's heir. The magic required to alter the royal bond alone was next level, yet she figured it out with journals."