29_Little Tremors

Start from the beginning

His ex left shortly after, but she didn't look the least bit pleased.

Meanwhile, he seemed more at ease, unfolding his arms before resuming his tasks.

God, I missed him.

I'd be lying if I say I didn't.

Since experiencing the misfortunes of my past, admittedly I'd stuck to myself, diminishing the possibility of forming attachments that might've led to significantly more grief.

Instead, I preferred to maintain focus on my clients and ensure that I did absolutely everything in my power to set the world right for them.

Danny proved to be a blindspot, a wrench in my plans, an irresistible force. Somehow, he'd managed to get under my skin and became an exception to the rule.

For reasons I couldn't begin to understand, he'd ruptured the barriers I'd erected to keep the world out. One after another.

The single element that drove the dagger deeper when I witnessed the incident at the dance.

He'd crushed me.

His explanation may have somewhat alleviated some of my concerns, and provided momentary relief, but did nothing to quell my anxieties.

In fact, it only enforced them and begged the question, why?

Why had that viper kissed him?

What could she possibly hope to gain from throwing herself at him like that?

What made her so confident in her deeds that she'd forego sanity altogether and kiss him, even after everything she'd done?

Would Danny's detachment be enough?

Taking a sip of my Iced Tea, the liquid demonstrated a welcomed respite for my parched insides.

Also, the drink provided a necessary distraction, somewhat extinguishing the quandary that mulled about in my head, seemingly mocking my very existence.

All the while, I avoided his gaze as silence strung out, filling the space around us. Silence which accompanied a torrent of near explosive tension.

To my surprise, he closed the gap between us, stooping to my eye-level, regarding me with tender eyes. An action that caused my ticker to leap into my throat, beating a mile a minute.

My lips parted involuntarily, and my focus was drawn to his dazzling eyes before falling to the exceedingly alluring hallmark of his. Goddamned instruments of torture.

He seemed to notice the shift in my trajectory, a slight smile appearing on the left corner of his mouth.

He must have possessed tremendous willpower to maintain the remaining chasm.

He seemed amused at my expense, though his eyes were practically glued to mine.

Gosh, I wanted him to kiss me.

Did I ever.

But, I didn't at the same time.

Oh, but he was so painfully close that all I needed to do was reach out and draw him to me.

Ughhhh! This was all so confusing!

I detected a familiar gleam in his eyes which begged me to lower my defences as he surveyed my every twitch with near nervous anxiety.

His arms formed a barrier, effectively boxing me in.

His hands clutched the bench, mere millimetres beside my upper thighs as I itched to relinquish control.