15: Avoiding yet failing miserably

It's easier to walk away
Better off to face the facts
When love holds you up for ransom
Walk away and don't look back

- Easier to walk away, Elton John

...

There are a million reasons I could fail yet I didn't. Maybe it was because of luck or I did a good job on my interview or they just needed a lot of staff, either way, I'm glad I got in.

I'll be officially starting my work as a copy editor mainly more like the helper of the Book editors, I'm more focused on the grammar and structure of the texts.

"Mom! I got in! I got in, mom!"

I yelled at the top of my lungs, my smile could stretch out to my skull as I ran downstairs and hugged my mother.

"I got in Ma! I got in!" I squealed gleefully like a worm being poured with salt.

"I'm cooking!" She slaps my hand but I was too happy to notice it.

"See- I got in!" I showed her my phone where the email of the publishing house I applied to and peered back positively to me.

Her eyes squint, I ran back to the refrigerator and took out her reading glasses, and gave them to her.

"Well you did, congrats," she said nonchalantly. "What do you want for today's dinner?" She said in passing while stirring the pot, she was cooking sinigang and the sour smell penetrate my nostrils.

"Roasted duck!"

Lourdes watched her daughter look at her with gloating eyes and push her out of the kitchen and put the reading glasses back into the side of the refrigerator.

There was a wisp of a pleasing smile that graces upon her lips after noticing her child's absence. Pride swells into her back making her usual hunched bones straighten, humming a little tune while she was busying herself seasoning their lunch.

"I better give one to Mr. Denver, no letters are arriving at his place, he must be saddened" she mused out her thoughts.

After turning the stove off, she took out a bowl of piping sinigang and placed a small plate under it then left the kitchen.

Her daughter was wiping the wooden tables while humming out some tune in happiness, their eyes met and she could feel her about to brag again so she left soon.

"Silly girl" she chuckles before knocking on Mr. Denver's house. "Mr. Denver, are you there?"

Knock. Knock.

The door creaks signifying the state of this house and there Mr. Denver appears with a somewhat pallid look on his face.

"Oh, Lourdes," he notices the bowl in her hand. "Come on in, I haven't yet cleaned the table, pardon me"

She could hear the wheeze of his breath every time he walks and she placed the bowl in the top of the shoe cabinet and supported me.

"Lourdes you don't really have to" he was too apologetic.

"It's fine Mr. Denver, were plants buddy" she soon took notice of his small smile and mirrored it.

Her eyes took in the messy situation of Mr. Denver's table, there was a pile of papers and open envelopes as well as the pile of crumpled papers on the other side.

"You see, I was writing to my son... He... He must be busy, eh?"

A smile that doesn't reach his eyes and was more like a cry hurts her.