Dave rejoined me at the island. “So, we should report the previous owner to the police to get back your money.”

Right. I didn’t even think about that during my panicky state. “What is the process like?”

“You show them the contract, the money transaction report, and leave the rest for them. I’ll support your statement.”

“Canada is huge, so how will they find him?” I argued. “Is there a chance for me to win the case?”

He nodded. “You should try to know. It’s your hard-worked money, after all,” he quoted me.

Why did I feel the sneer in his voice? He couldn’t know how I gained the money to sneer anyway. No way—I was only imagining things. “Right. My hard-worked money…”

He glanced at my plate and asked, “Are you a slow eater?”

I shook my head and answered, “I just have no appetite.”

“I understand. Well, I’ll leave for bed now. I have work early at seven if you care to know.”

“Thanks again,” I repeated, but his reply was only a wave of his hand as he walked out the door.

In the morning, I couldn’t say I was okay, but I certainly was better.

I woke up at ten in the morning, left my bed, brushed my teeth, and took a shower. I unlocked my room and explored the flat. Dave was already gone. I locked my room’s door overnight just in case he had any ill intentions that I couldn’t feel yet. Not having anything else to do, as my new job didn’t start yet, I decided to work out indoors. After all, I had to stay in shape for the photoshoots, so the agency would keep me.

Reminiscing how hard I had tried to be accepted, a surge of energy coursed through my body. For me to secure the job I needed, I had to fit in. The requirements were to have a small waist, a generous bust size, and a peachy butt. As cringy as it sounded, it was actually written just like that in the job offer.

By noon, the cup of water I had drunk failed to make my stomach feel full any longer. I remembered I didn’t buy any groceries except for juice cartons and bottled water, but I was curious if my housemate differed. I opened the fridge and found eggs, sliced cheese, a bread loaf, and milk. In the freezer, I found frozen meats and instant meals.

That looked… prepared. He must have been in the flat for at least a week, and I hadn’t checked it for ten days prior, so that made sense. The fact there was already running water and a full fridge told me I had been fooled for far longer than I liked to admit.

Would Dave mind me cooking for both of us? I sucked at the activity, but I had to try it out of courtesy. What if I make a mess and burn the ingredients that I haven’t bought myself? That would be embarrassing. I realised I also didn’t have his phone number if I wanted to ask him anything. However, I still had to try, so I made a quick to the supermarket nearby and bought some ingredients.

Considering my minimum skills, I decided to cook something I was familiar with. Chicken strips with veggies—couldn’t be messed. I searched the cabinets for a skillet. The guy was also prepared in that department; I found oils and cutlery, too. I proceeded to chop the veggies, put them over medium heat, and then let them wilt under the glass lid. I cut chicken breasts and seasoned them with salt and pepper.

While I left the veggies to cook, my phone rang. My lips wore an instant smile, and my face brightened upon seeing the caller.

The agency.

A guy named Kevin replied to me and introduced himself from the agency. My stomach exploded in excitement and anticipation.

“Yes, hello, Kevin.”

“Your first appointment for a photoshoot has been scheduled for next week, Monday, in the agency’s main studios. Is that fine with you?”

The day was Friday as we spoke. That meant in two days.

My smile widened at the news. “Absolutely.”

Hi there! Excited for the story so far or nah?

Do you think Perrie will pull this off?

What do you think of her new job?

Dave’s intentions?

Vote, comment, and share ❤