review #109: A Thousand Eyes: A Novel Of Elizabeth I

author: feliciadunham

read it if: you like historical fiction

plot:

Elizabeth has been the forgotten princess all her life. The daughter of a queen executed for treason, she has spent her entire childhood in the dark shadow of her mother's reputation. But things change when her crazed sister Queen Mary dies; Elizabeth is the only one left to inherit the throne of England. Soon, she is thrust into a world full of greed, intrigue, and betrayal as she strives to guide her beloved land from an ailing nation to a fearsome world power. In doing so, she breaks the barriers previously known to women and makes a name for herself as one of the greatest queens England has ever seen. Based on the early reign of Queen Elizabeth I of England, this novel gives a charming and enthralling view of the woman we all know and love.

review:

Generally this story is awesome. The plot is strong, you can feel the era this is based in, the main character gives a outstanding example that you don't have to change who you are and what you believe in to rule a whole country and the language goes with the age but it's still easy to understand. The issues are that you have to love the historical fiction genre to enjoy and fully understand the story, and because I really prefer contemporary fiction(even more preferably teen ficition or chicklits) the story seemed longer than the Titanic. And lastly how it ended it signaled a sequel is obviously out there, but the way it finished seemed so rushed and incomplete.

note to author:

if you're reading this, thanks for making this. This is actually my first time reading historical fiction, and while I discovered I don't like the genre, I can sense the passion and the strength here, and that's something any review(amateur or mega professional) can't change. Keep writing and take care ;)

I bid farewell, hope you enjoyed this. Comment, share, vote, follow, read my teen fiction reviews book vol. 1, and if you're a directioner read my fanfic reviews books vol.1,2 and 3 ;)