Chapter 6: Burger King and Press Conferences

***|Saturday, May 3th, 2008|***

It has been three full months since my father went missing, and everyone around me is losing hope. I can tell they are getting worried about me. How much I've stopped talking, how long I've spent down in the lab. My nightmares are only getting worse, but I have to keep going despite them. In the three months, I have seen the explosion that led to my father being in the caves and my father lying unconscious in the caves. There have also been others that I can't even begin to describe.

Each time Pitch has said different things, almost always there with me. He has threatened me and others in new ways, though often repeating the same threats. Drilling them into my mind. He has told me that my friends and family aren't safe, and neither am I. Jack visited me recently, so I know he is safe. Percy and I have been writing letters, which helps with my concerns. I see Happy and Pepper just about everyday. Same goes with Rhodey.

My phone starts vibrating on the desk beside me, and immediately I know it is one of three people. Either Happy, Pepper, or Rhodey. Picking it up, I read the name.

Uncle Rhodey

I answer him, assuming it would be a request or saying no luck on his end; or even just saying that I should get some sleep.

"Hey."

"Lillian! We found him!" He shouts, and I hear people in the background barking orders. "Tony's coming home." For a moment I am speechless, in absolute amazement. He's back? After so long my father is finally coming home. Pitch was wrong. He is coming back. I find my voice after a moment.

"This- this is amazing! When is he going to get here?"

"Finding exact coordinates as we speak."

"When you get him, tell him I love him."

"I will, but you can tell him yourself when we land." It has been so long since I have seen him, and so much has happened. What am I going to say? What happened to him there? All my dreams- are they even dreams? -showed me was him unconscious with a hole in his chest and him building some strange thing that I don't understand.

"Definitely. I guess I'll see you and dad when you guys land. Stay safe."

"We'll see you too Lilly. I need you to do the same."

He hangs up, leaving me in the silence of the lab. I quickly sit up, heading upstairs to where I know Uncle Happy is. When I get there I see him headed towards me.

"I'm guessing you heard the news?" Happy asks me, already knowing the answer.

"Yeah, I'm so glad he is finally coming home. I've been so worried. I don't know if I can wait."

"Me too Lillian. Me too."

***|Sunday, May 4th, 2008|***

I stand there eagerly waiting for the plane to land. Tapping my leg I look at Uncle Happy. Pepper is there too, standing behind us. My wings are folded tight against my back, laying over the thin light-grey fabric of my turtleneck sweater.

After far too long the plane lands and the ramp lowers. My father is at the top, standing up from a wheelchair and holding onto Uncle Rhodes for support. A few people come over with a stretcher for my father, but he waves them off.

"Are you kidding me with this? Get rid of them." He says as he reaches the bottom of the ramp, letting go of Uncle Rhodey and walking over towards me. "Hey my Little Lilly." I hug him tight, though trying not to hurt him.

"Don't you ever do that to me again." I can only manage a whisper, voice tight. Him coming home didn't really hit me until I saw him.

"I won't," he assures me. "I love you so, so much Lilith Stark."