Chapter 1: The Apogee Awards

***|Saturday, February 2, 2008|***

"Tony Stark. Visionary. Genius. American Patriot."

the narrator begins. I adjust the way my bulky raven wings rest against the cold wooden back of the chair and try to keep back the black and white hair from falling into my face. I tap my fingers on my bouncing leg as pictures of my dad appear from the projector onto the wall, from his head shot to the cover of Wired Magazine. A black and white picture of him when he was just a kid shows on the screen and with it the narrator. "Even from an early age, the son of legendary weapons developer Howard Stark quickly stole the spotlight with his brilliant and unique mind." Then a picture of my Grandfather, Howard Stark. Quite the pressure to be great, especially on an ADHD, 10-year-old girl with wings. I wish I had gotten to know them. Sometimes I imagine what it would be like if I had. What were they like? Would they be proud of me? Or would they think I was a winged freak with an unnatural streak in her hair and weird eyes? I sigh quietly to myself, rubbing my upper arm through the lace sleeve of the dress. Then another picture of Howard and my father on the screen. "At age four, he built his first circuit board. At age six, his first engine." This time it changes to those two sitting on a motorcycle, the picture from the cover of Mechanics Magazine. "And at seventeen, he graduated summa cum laude from MIT." Now a photo of him writing on a chalkboard, front page of MIT Technology Review. Then it revealed a picture of the article on him, with him posing with the prize-winning robot, Dum-E, in the Stark Industries workshop.

"Then, the passing of a titan." The news article about the death of my grandparents, Howard and Maria Stark, long before I was born. Then a black and white picture of Howard and Obadiah, arms on each other's shoulders. Out of the corner of my eyes, I see Obadiah smile fondly at the picture. I never knew my grandfather, but I know that they were close. "Howard Stark's lifelong friend and ally, Obadiah Stane, steps in to fill the gap left by the legendary founder," A photo of Obadiah on the cover of NewsWeek Magazine. Then a photo of my dad at 21, coming back to Stark Industries. The picture is the cover of Forbes Magazine, filling the three screens. "Until at age 21, the prodigal son returns and is anointed the new CEO of Stark Industries." The Stark Industries logo appears on both sides of the image, replacing the other two, leaving one in the center. Clapping is heard all around me, I join in on it, smiling. Obadiah frowns slightly, and I furrow my brows slightly at him, but he doesn't seem to notice me. Typical. "With the keys to the kingdom, Tony rushes in a new era for his father's legacy," A picture of my father standing with Obadiah behind him, standing in the warehouse. Images of some of the weapons my dad has added to the company show on the screens. "Creating smarter weapons, advanced robots, satellite targeting." Next, my dad on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine, a flag appearing behind it.

"Today, Tony Stark has changed the face of the weapons industry by ensuring freedom and protecting America and her interests around the globe." The tiled flag behind my father's photo flipped, square by square, revealing another photo of him standing in front of the f-16's on the runway, the brilliant, cloudless blue sky behind him.

The audience around me erupts with clapping again. I clap with the crowd, I am proud of my dad, but I know he isn't here. Knowing him he is outside in the Casino.

Uncle Rhodey walks up to the podium in a navy blue suit, the crowd dying down. "As liaison to Stark Industries, I've had the unique privilege of serving with a real patriot. He is my friend and he is my great mentor. Ladies and gentlemen, it is my honor to present this year's Apogee Award to Mr. Tony Stark." He claps along with the audience around me. When no one comes up, he pauses, waiting for my dad to come up and take the award from him. Maybe he was expecting him to give a speech, honestly who knows what my dad would do. Uncle Rhodes looks around the crowd nervously, trying to find him. "Tony?" He asks, trying to see if he would respond. He looks around again, finding me and Obadiah in the crowd. Uncle Rhodes looks to Obadiah, silently asking if Tony was here. He shakes his head. I look at him and shake my head too. 'Sorry' I mouth to him. Rhodey stands up there awkwardly, hoping someone will take action. I can tell he is starting to panic, but trying not to say anything because he is up on the stage.