Chapter 64 - Leavi

Start from the beginning

As I open my mouth to object, Idyne says, "Great! It's settled. Now, you two scurry off and try not to get into any trouble." She ushers them out of the room, and grudgingly, they both go.

I look at her wide-eyed. "What was that?"

She shrugs. "If they're going to fight, they're going to fight. Better to do it up there than trampling him." She points at Aster.

My protests die away as I look at his too-still form. His breath barely shakes his chest now. Idyne rocks on her heels. "How is he anyway?"

Back turned to her, I fiddle with the things in my bag, looking vainly for something else to use as a blanket.

"Leavi?"

My lips press together. "Not good."

"Oh." Her voice is quiet. "You think he's...?" Dying. I know that's what she means, but she doesn't quite say it.

"I don't know," I lie. "We'll just have to wait and see." Wait and see how long he clings to the slip of life left in him.

"Oh," she says again.

I'm quiet, watching Aster breathe.

"Well. I guess I'll go get some more firewood..."

She's backing toward the door as I turn around. "Idyne?"

"Yes?"

"Don't you..." I twist my hands in my lap. "Don't you do magic too?"

She hesitates. "I do." Her eyes flick up and to the left. "She is not them. Hush."

"Idyne?" Worry twists in my stomach.

A tight smile brightens her face. "Leavi! Yes, I do magic. But..."

I tense, waiting. No matter if Aster wouldn't want her casting on him, no matter that he doesn't trust her, no matter that I shouldn't either. If she can save Aster, we can sort the rest out as it comes.

Her foot arcs across the wood, and her braids shake a little. "Not that kind of magic."

My breath punches out of my lungs, but I nod, looking down.

"Travel, transformation—" She cuts off, foot sweeping the floor again. "That's more my sort of thing." I can't help but feel she's left something unsaid, but the door slips quickly shut, and I turn back to Aster. The loss of blood has drained the color from his almond skin, and his face is scarily peaceful. He reminds me of the enchanted princes of fairy tales, waiting to be awakened by some act of heroism or true love.

A strangled laugh escapes my lips. Maybe that's exactly what it is. After all, we do live in a fairy tale now, don't we? A fairy tale where black-robed villains taunt maidens off roofs, heroes capture the evil witch, and magic slowly curses men to death.

Aster's cloak catches my attention. If magic can create a curse... maybe it can also break one.

Fear licks into my stomach like fire. "No." I already told Aster I wasn't doing any more magic. Not again.

But if I don't try something, he will die.

Lips pressed together, I peel back blankets to reveal his cloak. No more waiting. No more sitting idly by. No more letting fate, or nature, or whatever outside force wants to control me and those I care about, take its course.

If Aster dies, it will not be because I simply let him.

I slip his Book out of his pocket and pull its cloth off. As soon as my fingers touch the leather skin, the Voices start rustling in my head.