Chapter 19 - Aster

A lone hill graces the horizon, breaking up the flatland

A lone hill graces the horizon, breaking up the flatland. After squinting at it and the darkening clouds, I rub Calista's neck. "We've got a hard ride ahead of us, girl."

We angle toward it. If I'm lucky, we can reach it before nightfall. Then again, I haven't been graced much travel luck so far. Rain that seemed like it would never end and the brambles and rubble of ruined cities have hindered my progress considerably. I can only imagine the conditions will worsen as I move further into Draó.

As the sun sets, I draw to a stop beside a low, natural overhang formed by the hill. Thunderheads have filled the sky for the last several hours, and amidst sparse, wartorn Draó, this is the first shelter I've seen in days. I shiver, remembering the rain drizzling down my back last night until the sun's rays crept onto the road like a servant into her tyrant Lady's room. Tonight might be the first night I'll sleep dry in a week.

Swinging off Calista, I steal a glance over my shoulder. The plains behind me look empty, but in the gathering twilight, it's hard to be sure. The overhang offers welcoming shadows, and I slip into them. Calista lies down, just inside the shallow shelter of the hill. Between us, I light a fire. The hill and the horse should block most of the light from passers-by, and it's likely too dark for anyone to make out the smoke.

I may have made it past Morineaux's border, but I know Agraund is searching. At least my mother will want to keep this quiet; she's the only one that can limit his reach. My chest aches as I pull food out and eat. In a prettier reality, she would be toppling every hill in the countryside to find me. Instead, I'm left with the cold comfort that as long as I stay in the wilderness, none of my uncle's spies should find me.

My breath frosts the air, and I rub my hands together close to the flames. They lick at the air as if they've been aching to breathe. They long for power, desperately trying to extend their reach.

"Me too," I mutter.

Pulling out a pinch of powder, I renew the anti-scrying spell, just as I have every night since leaving. Gratitude rises in me that I was able to bring so much material. Two full bags hide in the pockets of my cloak, and another half-used bag is tied to my belt loops. It doesn't typically take much arcanum powder to cast, but when I was packing, I had no idea what I might end up facing. Casting at least a spell a day drains resources.

Despite that, the terrain, and the weather delays, I know I'll make it to the academy. No matter what happens, I will. I'll train, I'll learn, and I'll come back to the castle a successful caster. I'll come back someone they can depend on.

I eat yet another meal of jerky and dried fruit, then roll into my blankets.

* * *

A scream tears unbidden from my lips. Firelight stretches out my shadow into a grotesque and cruel figure, and I fall to my knees, the stone floor cold beneath my hands.

Sharp pain slices against my back, attempting to pry another screech from me. My jaw is clenched tight, though. I won't yell again, I won't, I won't.

Another cut. My skin is burning, each new stripe searing fire.

'Get up,' he growls.

Shakily, I crawl to my feet, but make the mistake of not turning around.

Agony grips me yet again, and—

I jerk awake, the ghost of a sensation burning my back. My breaths come ragged. I sit up, and the air bites my skin, returning my back to its usual numb state.

Calista whuffles in her sleep, and my eyes dart to her, my breathing still too fast. She seems calm.

The fire pops, and my gaze wanders to it. In the hours that I slept, it dimmed and died some. The sky is still dark. Resolute to get more sleep tonight, I poke the fire back to life.

"Not giving up on me, are you?" I whisper to it. "I still need you tonight."

It flares up, and I lie down once more. I watch the flames until their hypnotic dance lulls me back to a fitful sleep. I still have a long way to go before I can truly rest.