Chapter 64 - Leavi

The snow flurries onto the wood floor as we stumble into the farmhouse

The snow flurries onto the wood floor as we stumble into the farmhouse. Jacin lays Aster near the empty hearth, and I hurry to wrap him in his blankets and cloak. I'm elated to see we've managed to keep him dry. The rest of us are soaked. My boots kept my feet dry, but Idyne is in slippers; with the extra weight, Jacin sunk deep into the snow, and water marks his pants up to his thighs; and in the slushy, shifting mess, we all fell several times. I shudder, imagining being in the High Valley mountains for weather like this. It's shockingly difficult to regain your feet in snow without someone pulling you up. There's nothing to push on that doesn't give way. Had any of us been alone, I don't think we would have made it.

"Is there any firewood?" I glance over my shoulder.

"There's that chest," Idyne says.

"And I think there's some in the barn." Jacin slides down the wall, shoulders slumped. His breath fogs in the air while Sean watches him, eyes narrow.

My lips press together as I survey our wet, exhausted group. "I'll go get it."

I start to rise, but Idyne points at Aster. "Stay with him." She starts to head off, but I stop her and tug off my boots.

"Here. At least take these."

She flashes a grateful smile as though I'm the one doing her a favor and heads back into the snow. Soon, we get a fire stoked up, people change clothes, and we settle as much as we can in an empty house. My stomach grumbles, but I ignore it. "We need to set a watch," I say, dripping water past Aster's lips.

"Why?" Jacin, warming his hands at the fire, glances over. "I told you, the townspeople won't come here."

"We can't know that," Sean grumbles, hunched into his coat. "Only an idiot wouldn't keep an eye out."

Jacin bristles. "So are you volunteering to go out in the cold and play watchman?"

Sean barks a laugh. "Exactly how small is your brain?" He stands. "There are windows upstairs."

Jacin's lip curls as he steps forward. Idyne shoots to her feet. "Boys, boys." She shoulders in between them. "No need to get feisty."

Over her head, both men glower.

"Jacin," I call. "Why don't you take first watch. You should have a good view upstairs, and I'm sure the chimney pipes enough heat to make it bearable. We'll switch off."

He glances over at me, and his face softens. "Alright."

"I think we should watch in pairs," Sean says, still eyeing Jacin.

"What, I'm not trustworthy enough?" Jacin steps forward again, running into Idyne's outstretched hand. "If it weren't for me—"

"Yeah, yeah, and we're all real grateful." Sean crosses his arms. "I just think two sets of eyes are better than one. Don't you, Leavi?"